DIR- Generic Why donate your primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think it's quite practical to not be giving an OOA buddy, who may be on the verge of panicking, a crappy, old, hard breathing regulator, that might be dangling in the wind when he actually needs it. How many times have you seen this? Too many times to count! A necklace makes this scenario impossible. That's quite practical.

View attachment 477393
Absolutely. This used to happen to me all the time, and I was always having trouble keeping track of where my octo is, where my buddy's octo is, where even my buddy is. I am just trying to figure out some of the finer points about the hog rig, like the "you know what gas it is" argument. Maybe it will make more sense to me, when I actually do deco diving.

In the typical setup with a long hose and bungeed alternate, donating the primary is much, much, much faster than looking for, finding, releasing, and donating an alternate. Assuming the OOA diver is nearby, he or she will have your reg in about a second.

this ^

During a training session our instructor (whom I really like) saw that I was not paying close attention to a member of my team of three. He intentionally signaled my buddy to be "out-of-air". My buddy (an experienced, already trained diver) reached out instantly for my primary, a pretty realistic grab. At that moment I realized how important is to have the backup second stage in a necklace.

this ^

During a training session our instructor (whom I really like) saw that I was not paying close attention to a member of my team of three. He intentionally signaled my buddy to be "out-of-air". My buddy (an experienced, already trained diver) reached out instantly for my primary, a pretty realistic grab. At that moment I realized how important is to have the backup second stage in a necklace.

I just read a very old pdf, "blueprint for survival", where some situations were described including a slow deployment of backup reg and a person grabbing the reg from the donators mouth. I guess that makes a lot of sense. You know where your mouth is and so does the oog diver. You can also easily locate the necklace, while you can't donate it.

But I still fail to understand "you know it works" argument. I guess that's not the most important argument.

I just read a very old pdf, "blueprint for survival", where some situations were described including a slow deployment of backup reg and a person grabbing the reg from the donators mouth. I guess that makes a lot of sense. You know where your mouth is and so does the oog diver. You can also easily locate the necklace, while you can't donate it.

But I still fail to understand "you know it works" argument. I guess that's not the most important argument.
Dude is out of gas. Can’t breath. Maybe hasn’t breathed for a bit. He NEEDS a working reg ASAP.

The one that you (and your buddy) knows is working is the clear and obvious go-to solution.

Dude is out of gas. Can’t breath. Maybe hasn’t breathed for a bit. He NEEDS a working reg ASAP.

The one that you (and your buddy) knows is working is the clear and obvious go-to solution.

OK, but why would you not know that the backup works though? Also, assuming you don't know that the backup works for some reason, how is it solution to donate the working one and end up with the non working one yourself? Then you just switched roles: panicked diver becomes calm, calm diver becomes panicked?

Maybe this is a relic of the old times, where buddy breathing (2 people breathing from the same reg) was still a thing.

Just go DIR and be done with it.

Yeah man, I already am moving in this direction and have invested in new equipment + GUE Fundies. Just like to discuss small, possibly pointless details of the old DIR Videos wording. You are supposed to understand why things are the way they are I've learned.

OK, but why would you not know that the backup works though? Also, assuming you don't know that the backup works for some reason, how is it solution to donate the working one and end up with the non working one yourself? Then you just switched roles: panicked diver becomes calm, calm diver becomes panicked?

Maybe this is a relic of the old times, where buddy breathing (2 people breathing from the same reg) was still a thing.

You have the ability to fix it. Most likely reason for it not working is a roll off. You can reach back and turn it on. Additionally, if you were really in a pickle you can take a breath off your inflator while you sort out your business. Unlikely for it not to be working since it’s bungeed under your chin.

OK, but why would you not know that the backup works though?
You know the one in your mouth works because you are currently breathing it. You literally just took a breathe from it. The one on your necklace, you think works and should work, but you haven't necessarily tested in the past 30 seconds. Your buddy needs gas now. You need gas soon, but not as soon as the already out of gas buddy.

I have been told by multiple people who witnessed or were involved in an actual oog situation that the oog diver will almost always go for the reg in your mouth. And they will do it very fast and with a lot of power. Exhale fully and hold your breath, then see how long it takes before the whole breath holding thing becomes impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom