Why does the top of my foot hurt while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvspoodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been wearing my ORyan 5 millimeter booties with my Appollo Biofins. In the beginning of my dive trips, or when I haven't dove in a while, the tops of my feet hurt. I don't like my ORyan booties. They seem very loose and floppy on me, and it feels like they are too wide. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It didn't happen when I was wearing the rental fool foot fins. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you. I would like to go and get different booties before my upcoming trip to Cozumel if this is the problem.

Sounds like the fit of your fin/boot combo.

You could certainly try another boot ... I've got a buddy here that wears socks inside his boots for just that reason.

My SP Twin-speeds cause me similiar problems... but the standard Jets have a softer (more pliable) pocket and are more comfortable.

I wouldn't ask you this if I hadn't seen others do it as well, but did you take out the plastic inserts that hold the shape of your fin when you aren't diving. If you accidentally left them in that might cause your problem. If that's not then your fins may not be the right size.

Aren't Apollo Bio-Fins made of resilient natural rubber and therefore, unlike fins with thermoplastic foot pockets, don't need "formers" to stay in shape when not in use?

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Biofin.html

Full-foot fins that are slightly loose can be made more secure by wearing a pair of fin grips, triangular rubber straps fitting over the arch, under the instep and over the ankle. This company retails them for $4.99:

http://www.spearfishinggear.com/Mer...creen=PROD&Product_Code=FG924&Category_Code=F

Hope this helps.

David

luvspoodles:
Hello,
I have been wearing my ORyan 5 millimeter booties with my Appollo Biofins. In the beginning of my dive trips, or when I haven't dove in a while, the tops of my feet hurt. I don't like my ORyan booties. They seem very loose and floppy on me, and it feels like they are too wide. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It didn't happen when I was wearing the rental fool foot fins. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you. I would like to go and get different booties before my upcoming trip to Cozumel if this is the problem.

I'm a very strong kicker and swimmer (I was...) I dive about every week, but this accident has kept me dry for about 8 weeks.

I just got back in the water on Saturday, and after my dive day (3 dives) I noticed a "new" pain - the tops of my feet hurt- sort of where the foot fades into the shin. Upon inspection, there were no marks, no rubs, no redness, etc. So improper gear fit wasn't the issue. I'm just outta shape.

When I sit in a chair, and sort of put my feet behind me on the floor, top of my toes down, and put on some pressure, I can still feel that muscle stretching and twinging a little. Its less pronounced today than Sat, but still there a little.

If there is no skin redness or chaffing, its likely just from kicking with resistance in the water. I've been doing a lot of swimming to get my leg back in shape, but its very different with a kick board on the surface, and pushing myself at 80 FSW with full gear with stiff blade fins.

I just need to dive more and re-build that muscle strength and I'm sure that "top of the foot pain" will go away.

Maybe that's it?

K

mo2vation:
I just got back in the water on Saturday, and after my dive day (3 dives) I noticed a "new" pain - the tops of my feet hurt- sort of where the foot fades into the shin. Upon inspection, there were no marks, no rubs, no redness, etc. So improper gear fit wasn't the issue. I'm just outta shape.

I just need to dive more and re-build that muscle strength and I'm sure that "top of the foot pain" will go away.

Maybe that's it?

K

Yes, I think that that may be it. It's either because they are too big, or because I am out of shape. I don't exercise a lot, and so when I dive its usually the first few days that really hurt. The skin isn't red or anything, its definitely a muscle strain, either from the fins or booties being too big, or from my being out of shape. Thank you everyone for your help. I think I am going to take them to my shop, put them on, and see what they have to say about the fit. I hope that they're not too big! They were awfully expensive and I would hate to have to buy another pair because the dive shop guy fit me wrong! (I was new to diving at the time) (Maybe they will take that into consideration and give me a discounted price?.....) The pain is right on the top of my foot, opposite of my arch. Thank you so much everyone for your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom