Why does SDI insist on teaching only Dive Computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJackson60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone. I was at my LDS the other day and noticed a sign promoting their latest special which was a Nitrox Course through SDI. I have been thinking about getting Nitrox Certified so I thought this was a perfect opportunity.:D When I asked about the class I found out it was only taught using Dive Computers, no tables.:shocked2: Since I don't own a computer and won't own one for quite sometime I asked them if there was a provision for learning it with tables. They said no. Is this correct? If so why does SDI not want to teach tables? Seems to me they are limiting themselves in the market place.

why not go with another agency?

TDI offers a good nitrox course that includes tables.

:D

Agree about TDI Nitrox. Our instructor added enough so that the TDI Advanced nitrox is mostly review. The Nitrox text is fairly new, published in 2006.

I agree with the other posters, TDI Nitrox class. I've just read the book and I'm taking the class at the end of the month. One of the LDS had the SDI computer class and one of the other shops offers the TDI Nitrox.

why not go with another agency?
I was thinking about going with PADI but since this looked like a good deal I was willing to try them. As far as going with TDI I was under the impression (mistakenly apparently) that you needed to do the SDI course first.
I know that there are options to SDI. I was just wondering why they don't include tables with their courses. Thanks for the quick replies!:D

I think SDI has just decided that computers have become so inexpensive and widely available that they make the most sense for recreational divers. I remember taking PADI AOW and being the only student in the class who really understood the tables when I walked in.

I was thinking about going with PADI but since this looked like a good deal I was willing to try them. As far as going with TDI I was under the impression (mistakenly apparently) that you needed to do the SDI course first.
I know that there are options to SDI. I was just wondering why they don't include tables with their courses. Thanks for the quick replies!:D
Some folks want to learn the tables and they make those courses available for them.

Some folks just want to use nitrox on their vacation and don't care about the math- For them you just teach them how to use and follow their computer properly.

Seems like a decent solution for everyone.

Last edited:
I think SDI has just decided that computers have become so inexpensive and widely available that they make the most sense for recreational divers. I remember taking PADI AOW and being the only student in the class who really understood the tables when I walked in.

Well, I suppose that may be so. Except, I don't know anyone personally that is using a computer. And at $400.00 I don't consider that cheep, especially since I am just starting out and think an exposure suit, BCD, regs, etc have a higher priority than a computer. I also get what your saying about people REALLY understanding the tables. A stronger emphasize by the Certification Agencies would probably help there, but that is the subject for a different post!:rofl3:

Uhhhh.... Why don't they teach algorithms by table anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom