Why does gas consumption increase with depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have been using this practice ever since and now have an average rmv of 0.4 and on some dives see as low as 0.28.
It would be interesting to see a comparison of RMV at various depths (including the surface) since the normal formula for calculating surface-corrected RMV takes into account pressure/depth. I wonder if divers like you who have developed ways to decrease their gas consumption while diving would actually be consuming "less" gas at depth vs. the surface when using that RMV formula.

Without digging through my logs i can tell you i do have lower rmv below 100’ than i do in my local 20’ deep quarry.

Learning about rebreathers is what really explains it. You don't actually consume any more oxygen at depth (besides work load and body heat generation, but those are secondary and not related to depth. The oxygen is consumed, pretty much burned with fats and sugars as the hydrocarbons are broke down and turned into CO2 and water. Sugars are still a form of hydrocarbon even if they have oxygen built into them. That process doesn't change.

In very crude numbers, you inspire 20% oxygen, exhale 15% oxygen and 5% CO2.
If you were pull a gas sample while diving air, the inhale is still about 20% but the exhale side would shift to a much higher O2 and lower CO2. You are simply blowing air through your lungs without burning the O2 off in your body.

This is also one of the theories of oxygen toxicity, getting too much O2 partial pressure into your body and the oxygen wants to react with something. Starts going after nerves and stuff. People talk about long duration high O2 partial pressure (hard core commercial or technical divers) as "burning there lungs". Advanced Nitrox or rebreather classes for this stuff on the recreational side.

Getting deeper into the technical side of diving the mixes are hypoxic, 10% oxygen is fairly common. Not enough to breath safely at the surface, but going real deep it might still be too much.

Thankfully this has been researched fairly well. In normal recreational types of diving there isn't an issue. Lots of other problems before O2 is an issue. Add in some Nitrox, you are on the edge of needing to think about it. That is why there are classes on Nitrox. Then hit the technical side of diving and it is a thing to worry about. But that is why there is good training with the technical classes.

Back
Top Bottom