Why do you use nitrox ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard more than plenty of people say that the "feeling better after diving nitrox" is just anecdotal, and I haven't seen any research, but I have experienced this when doing multiple dives a day for 2-3 days.

Weekend one - 3 dives a day for 3 days. Diving air. Absolutely exhausted.
Following weekend - 3 dives a day for 3 days, diving nitrox. Tired but not nearly as exhausted.
Conditions were just about the same, ocean boat dives, with mild current, 1-2ft chop.

There may be other factors involved, but since then I dive almost exclusively nitrox.

hydration plays a lot I have found, after installing a p-valve in the suit I started drinking plenty of water before the dive. I have found that I started feeling way better after the dives, no matter if they were on air or on nitrox

The only research that is out there is for a single chamber dive and it does not indicate fatigue relief. Those of us who have experienced it will usually tell you that the fatigue relief is only notable on multi-day, multi-dive per day profiles.

Most agencies teach O2 is at LEAST as narcotic as nitrogen and nitrox does not/should be used to reduce narcosis.

As for when i use it, i use it only on dives where the NDL is going to end my dive as opposed to air consumption (or a series where NDL is going to be an eventual limit).

Ive not noticed any difference in fatigue on single dives, repeat dives or long 20-30 dive series of dives compared to using air and nobody has proven any statistical safety benefit to diving nitrox on air tables.

Going by that, the extra cost involved and the fact the gas limits my maximum depth and flexibility i use it only on NDL-limited dives.

Most agencies teach O2 is at LEAST as narcotic as nitrogen and nitrox does not/should be used to reduce narcosis.
... and that means what, if anything?
As for when i use it, i use it only on dives where the NDL is going to end my dive as opposed to air consumption (or a series where NDL is going to be an eventual limit).

Ive not noticed any difference in fatigue on single dives, repeat dives or long 20-30 dive series of dives compared to using air and nobody has proven any statistical safety benefit to diving nitrox on air tables.
The additional safety benefit to diving EAN on air tables does not require a proof, just a understanding of the basic laws of physics.

... and that means what, if anything?
The additional safety benefit to diving EAN on air tables does not require a proof, just a understanding of the basic laws of physics.

It requires proof. To take it directly from physics involves a complete lack of understanding of biological principles. Just because there is a theoretical reduction in something doesnt mean that by the time its been through a biology system it turns into a real world benefit.

It completely ignores things like thresholds for starters. There are many many examples of things that have on-paper theoretical benefits but absolutely no statistically significant proof of a real world effect. Many of these involve biological systems.

...and the fact the gas limits my maximum depth and flexibility i use it only on NDL-limited dives.

Exactly!I love the flexibility of air.

Hey!!!

Where did you get these stickers??? I want some!!!!

Ok, as a "kinda" medical dive professional (I am a nurse and certified in the recompression chamber). I ALWAYS tell my patients , you should have been using nitrox!!! Just had a guy do 4 dives in one day and ended up bent. He dove air.

Personally I think if you are over 35 (no its not old!), you should be diving nitrox for RECREATIONAL DIVERS!!! It greatly decreases your chances of being bent, makes you "feel better" during surface intervals and increases bottom time.

Now for my biggest concern that I hear from a lot of divers who are 'RECREATIONAL DIVERS" is that even though they went through the class, they sometimes forget about the possibility of increased risk of O2 toxicity when diving a deeper depths.

For ultra safety rules I always tell our divers, especially if they are asking questions...DO NOT DIVE DEEPER THAN 100 FT while diving nitrox (they normally dive 31-33% here). Just better safe than sorry.

FYI: My idea of a Recreational Diver, so I don't here...yaddaa...yaddaa... Is one who dives once, maybe 2 x per year, usually in warm water environments, and usually does 2-3 dives a day, maybe.

Liz

Another sticker .... I have this one on a bunch of my tanks ...

GeezerGas.jpg

... I got them here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey!!!

Ok, as a "kinda" medical dive professional (I am a nurse and certified in the recompression chamber). I ALWAYS tell my patients , you should have been using nitrox!!! Just had a guy do 4 dives in one day and ended up bent. He dove air.

Personally I think if you are over 35 (no its not old!), you should be diving nitrox for RECREATIONAL DIVERS!!! It greatly decreases your chances of being bent, makes you "feel better" during surface intervals and increases bottom time.

Now for my biggest concern that I hear from a lot of divers who are 'RECREATIONAL DIVERS" is that even though they went through the class, they sometimes forget about the possibility of increased risk of O2 toxicity when diving a deeper depths.

For ultra safety rules I always tell our divers, especially if they are asking questions...DO NOT DIVE DEEPER THAN 100 FT while diving nitrox (they normally dive 31-33% here). Just better safe than sorry.

FYI: My idea of a Recreational Diver, so I don't here...yaddaa...yaddaa... Is one who dives once, maybe 2 x per year, usually in warm water environments, and usually does 2-3 dives a day, maybe.

Liz

Why tell them inaccurate information? Why not just teach them the concept of a maximum operating depth, it's a pretty simple concept. I personally think you are doing a disservice.

Hey!!!

Liz

Cafe Press ... I provided a link just below the picture ...

Here is the link again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why tell them inaccurate information? Why not just teach them the concept of a maximum operating depth, it's a pretty simple concept. I personally think you are doing a disservice.

Rules of thumb are easy to remember ... especially for the typical vacation diver. And in Bonaire, for recreational diving, there really isn't any reason to go deeper than 100 feet. All the good stuff's up closer to the surface anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom