Why do you use nitrox ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the liveaboard trips I've done, the routine is five dives a day, for five days in a row. The divers using air were usually bumping up against their NDLs after a couple of days.

For local recreational diving I use EAN32 for pretty much all my dives. I use it because I can ... I pay a flat fee monthly for nitrox, and it works out to somewhere between $4 and $5 per tank. All my tanks are LP95s, HP119s or HP130's ... and I'll typically stay down anywhere from 60 to 80 minutes on a dive. A typical dive profile might look something like this one ...

diveprofile.jpg

Geezer gas helps me get those kind of dives without worrying about NDL's. It's especially nice on those days when I do two or three dives like that in a day.

When I'm on vacation I will always use nitrox if it's available, because I will be doing anywhere from 3 to 6 dives a day.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I also use 50% and O2 for accelerated deco for technical diving.
I don't use it any other time as I don't mind going into deco and there is no evidence that it increases safety nor reduces fatigue or narcosis.

I use Nitrox for extending bottom time on a single AL80 as well as reducing the narcosis effect.
..snip..

I'm just curious if you're saying you get less narced because someone told you that EAN is less narcotic (placebo effect) or whether you really feel a difference.

It's highly debatable whether O2 is less narcotic than N2.
You'll find various threads here on SB.

There aren't really any exact values or numbers to determine the ratio of oxygen's narcotic effects, but several sources claim it to be about as narcotic as nitrogen, ie.: The Physiology and Medicine of Diving" by Peter Bennett and David Elliott, 4th edition, 1993, W.B.Saunders Company Ltd, London.

Richard Pyle says that the relation of the narcocity value of oxygen vs. nitrogen depends on their fraction in current gas mix.

Reduced inert gas loading and shorter deco.

Extends permissible dive times, especially on multi-dive days.
Decreases fatigue (at least I think it does).

1. Because I can.
2. Larger theoretical margin of safety (diving and medicine are not exact sciences).
3. I do feel less fatigued after a Notrox dive vs. an air dive.
4. Without going full trimix, it is the most advanced and modern mode of diving with a number of important benifits.

I tend to carry a redundant system filled with 40% or 50% to do my ascent after my main dive on the "best mix" for the planned dive depth. Plan your dive, dive your plan......

Oh, wait! When have I ever done that?!? :D

Back
Top Bottom