Why do you use a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nereas: Using specific equipment, because it is comfortable OUT of the water is NOT a good reason to use...it would seem to me that you use specific equipment for the environment that it is intended for (Ie IN THE WATER). There are a variety of good reasons listed here...such as logistics.....yet you dismiss them and advocate for the one or two that make no sense.

Using specific equipment, because it is comfortable OUT of the water is NOT a good reason to use...it would seem to me that you use specific equipment for the environment that it is intended for (Ie IN THE WATER). <snip>

Not totally true, if the diver is more uncomfortable, stressed or over exerted BEFORE he gets in the water, he is less safe once he gets IN the water.

I'm pretty sure that ScubanDreams is referring to below surface functionality vs. topside aesthetics & the inferred message of a someone who has never used a RB, but claims expertise.

If a diver is stressed (bigtime) on the surface there is a possibility that they will be more stressed underwater. That being said, I appreciate jumping into the water when I am stressed by topside conditions - lumpy ocean, cluster conditions etc. BTW - this is not something I would ever recommend to newbie divers. Since this is a RB thread...I am happy to say I have never vomited inside the loop. Chunky material might clog a mushroom valve.!!!

I've enjoyed many of the benefits listed. Another is that I have a expanding comfort zone with deeper diving... though I'm only slowly venturing into the 200 ft realm. I was purely a rec. limit diver before starting CCR, doubles and stages always seemed like too much hassle for not enough gain.

back to the tank logistics issue. gas use is so efficient that you can bring two Al 80's (one dill, one pure o2) on a multi day trip and have all the trans-fill gas you want without having to have access to a compressor or booster.

g

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom