Why do some agencies recommend using a bottom timer instead of a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers claiming that those using PDCs are "blindly" following them, are also "blindly" following their plan. You might have one or two deviations from the plan figured out ahead of time, but you're still blindly following your watch, your depth and your schedule. Moreover, your schedule was calculated by a computer, so what's the real difference? Oh, you guys found a reason to act superior.

Divers claiming that those using PDCs are "blindly" following them, are also "blindly" following their plan. You might have one or two deviations from the plan figured out ahead of time, but you're still blindly following your watch, your depth and your schedule. Moreover, your schedule was calculated by a computer, so what's the real difference? Oh, you guys found a reason to act superior.

Let me say I think you're perfectly correct to address any claim that using a computer EQUALS blindly following said computer - I don't think that's true either.
But I think there's an element, with either method, of developing with whichever method one might use, and adapting with it.
I also think I've seen a lot of divers thoughtlessly following a PDC, and I appreciate that RD is one good way to address that issue.
Probably, you've found other good ways to do that, and I don't have a problem with that.

I don't really recognize what you mean with your argument that I/we/they are blindly following their watch, depth and schedule.

Regardless, as for the predictive nature of RD, I think it's an understatement to say "might have one or two deviations from the plan figured out ahead of time". But, in either case, it's all just a list of pro's and con's, and I don't think there's a claim to superiority in making that choice.

But, on the note of claims to superiority:

It should be noted for the record in case anyone reads this and naively thinks that you're speaking the truth, that ratio deco is NOT an effective tool if you consider "effective" to mean that it gives you the optimum chance of avoiding DCS.

Perhaps you have a different definition of "effective" but to me if we're talking about deco algorithms then what other measure of "effective" could we possibly be talking about?

That's a bit harsh, but allright - to answer your question, you're basically saying that ALL strategies and algorithms except whichever one is optimal, are ineffective.
Seeing it as neither you nor in fact anyone else knows which one is optimal, "effective", by the logic employed in the quote above, can't be aptly used about any strategy or algorithm to describe the efficiency of the physiological decompression process under it's use.

I would disagree with that logic, as well as the premise.

First, there is a wide range of algorithms and strategies that can be called "effective", albeit some (slightly?) more so than others.
Second, "effective" stands also in conjunction with attributes of a purely practical nature, for instance in terms of dive planning.

I'll disambiguate:

The deep stop emphasis of the standard RD1.0-framework (absent of personal adaptations), was (I dare say with some confidence) not "optimal" in terms of physiological decompression, but "efficient" - in either case, certainly practical.

Other algorithms have been verified (including by AG himself in his botched attempt to "prove" the superiority of RD) to be more "effective" at protecting the diver from DCS.

Diving with a computer is not only more convenient but it is also safer than ratio deco. I think we need to make that clear.

I fully understand that you choose to use it because you have "faith" in ratio deco despite the facts (my point about paradigm lock and religion above) and I'm happy to "dive and let dive" when it concerns a diver of your experience who makes a choice. However, less experienced divers will be reading this thread and they need to be made aware that what you are saying here is misleading if we accept that the word "effective" means "effective at protecting the diver from DCS".

R..

Well, this is in the "Advanced Scuba Discussions"-section, so I'm confident that we won't need to align the content of our conversation to facilitate inexperienced divers. That in mind;

What is your scientific reference to support your apparent position that Ratio Deco does not protect the diver from DCS?
(please correct me if I'm interpreting your position on the matter incorrectly).

In any case:

First, I'll reiterate that there is a difference across "efficient" and "optimal", and further that "optimal" is unknown/unproven, and in either case almost certainly subject to individual differences from diver to diver, and from dive to dive.

Second, you have nothing to support your apparent position that choosing Ratio Deco must be a matter of "faith", "paradigm lock", "religion" or anything of the sort. You can opt for imperfect from one perspective but efficient and practical from another, purely pragmatic, point of view.

Third, Ratio Deco is explicitly intended for personal adaptation - for instance to accomodate scientific findings or individual differences.

Fourth, if I had claimed that RD was scientifically proven to be "optimal" in terms of physiological decompression processes, I could understand your reaction. But I haven't - nor have I even made a comparison.

[EDIT]
My position on the bottom timer/computer-question is on just that - it may make some sense to disambiguate it from a(nother) discussion on deep stops;
I.e. it would be perfectly possible to whack the logics/rules of the formal, standard RD-framework into a computer, in which case I would still prefer the bottom timer, and further, it is perfectly possible to individually adapt/change the deep stop emphasis within the RD-framework.

Last edited:
I have a question for the critics of Ratio Deco. How many dives have you guys actually done using ratio deco?

I am just curious that's all.

That's a bit harsh, but allright - to answer your question, you're basically saying that ALL strategies and algorithms except whichever one is optimal, are ineffective.

I want to start this reply by saying that I'm happy that you are taking the debate in the spirit in which it was intended. I want to be clear that I'm not looking for a fight but these are important issues to divers, particularly to (prospective) technical divers. I'm glad it was moved to the advanced forum so we don't need to beat around the bush with the kid-gloves on. I know you said it was harsh but when people's health is at stake it's good to have an exchange of ideas that is as direct and frank as possible.

Seeing it as neither you nor in fact anyone else knows which one is optimal, "effective", by the logic employed in the quote above, can't be aptly used about any strategy or algorithm to describe the efficiency of the physiological decompression process under it's use.

Correct to point out that no algorithm is perfect. However, ratio deco was, perhaps inadvertently, proven by its most ardent supporters in live trials to carry a higher DCS risk than Buhlmann. I'm not even talking about hang-time. If that fact could be fixed by doing more hang time then we could conclude that it was less efficient but equally safe. In the trials lead by AG himself, we saw that even with MORE hang time, ratio deco carries a higher decompression risk than Buhlmann. In his trial the deck was stacked and ratio deco STILL proved to be more risky.

You're absolutely correct to point out that we still do not know what a "perfect" ascent looks like. However, when we compare ascents generated by different algorithms we can identify with absolute certainty what is NOT a good ascent. And ratio deco does not generate good ascents, neither in terms of hang time nor in terms of DCS risk.

I suggested -- directly -- in my previous post that I would not define that as efficient. You seem to be trying to spin it, but the facts are the facts and one way or another I hope I can get you to face those facts and address them directly. I didn't purposefully intend to call you a liar in your previous post but at the very least your faith in ratio deco is causing you to say things that are misleading to divers who are not aware of these nuances.

The deep stop emphasis of the standard RD1.0-framework (absent of personal adaptations), was (I dare say with some confidence) not "optimal" in terms of physiological decompression, but "efficient" - in either case, certainly practical.

In this part you seem to want to define "efficient" as being equivalent to "practical". This is indeed a different definition than I gave it above. I see efficiency, as I said above, as the degree to which the algorithm protects the diver from DCS. I see practicality as the degree to which the algorithm allows for flexibility and ease of use. I would certainly agree that in the absence of a suitable computer that ratio deco is "practical" insofar that it offers a lot of flexibility. However, in the context in which we include computers as a tool then the computer is clearly more "practical" in terms of flexibility. The computer recalculates your dive every X seconds and does it 100% correctly within the constraints of the algorithm 100% of the time. Ratio deco is recalculated at much wider intervals and it is done with the human brain on the fly, which is a much MUCH less reliable calculator than the computer.

For the above reasons I would submit that a computer (depending upon the algorithm) is both more efficient AND more practical than ratio deco.

What is your scientific reference to support your apparent position that Ratio Deco does not protect the diver from DCS?
(please correct me if I'm interpreting your position on the matter incorrectly).

I should be clear that I'm NOT saying that ratio deco doesn't work at all. Of course it does. We were all using variations of it before we had decent computers and while bends were not entirely uncommon, it was certainly better than nothing.

To draw a comparison, screwing a screw into a piece of wood with a butter knife is also "better than nothing" but not as good as a screw driver that was made to fit the screw. I don't think I know a single person who hasn't screwed a screw with a knife before but I also don't know anyone who would reject a screw driver in favour of a knife. With respect to ratio deco, this is exactly what you are doing..... you're like the guy who PREFERS to screw a screw with a butter knife. I think you can understand why that doesn't make sense to me.

First, I'll reiterate that there is a difference across "efficient" and "optimal", and further that "optimal" is unknown/unproven, and in either case almost certainly subject to individual differences from diver to diver, and from dive to dive.

Second, you have nothing to support your apparent position that choosing Ratio Deco must be a matter of "faith", "paradigm lock", "religion" or anything of the sort. You can opt for imperfect from one perspective but efficient and practical from another, purely pragmatic, point of view.

Again you're are equating pragmatic with efficient. I believe you need to be challenged on that. These two concepts are NOT the same.

Fourth, if I had claimed that RD was scientifically proven to be "optimal" in terms of physiological decompression processes, I could understand your reaction. But I haven't - nor have I even made a comparison.

We certainly agree about this. Again, as I stated in my previous post I'm not trying to convince YOU to give up ratio deco. You're a big boy and you know exactly what you're choosing for. What I'm on about on this thread is to clarify the actual facts about it so that someone who reads your posts will understand that you are choosing out of faith and not out of fact.

R..

Last edited:
I also think I've seen a lot of divers thoughtlessly following a PDC, and I appreciate that RD is one good way to address that issue.
In my most humble opinion, ratio deco is a fool's game and I won't touch it. I know too many people who have been bent using it by making "mental errors".
I have a question for the critics of Ratio Deco. How many dives have you guys actually done using ratio deco?
As many as I've done with a gun pointed at my head. I know you think there's a point here, but the track record's just too bad.

I have done at least 100 dives using ratio deco, but I don't think not having used it disqualifies you from deciding whether or not it should be used. If you can read and think, you can make a decision. I have never swum in a pond with salt water crocodiles, so does that mean I can't form an opinion about that?

I also think using evidence of a Suunto Gekko going into error mode while on a decompression dive is simply beyond belief. That is exactly what you would expect when you use something for a task for which it was not designed. I would not argue against using a shovel to dig a hole by showing a picture of a teaspoon I bent while digging a hole with it.

Last edited:
The fact that Dan keeps using the either/or fallacy despite the fallaciousness explained repeatedly means he must be doing it intentionally. That is what he is doing iinusing the terms effective and ineffective as absolutes the way he does.

Saying a decompression profile is less effective than others does not mean it will never work--no one is saying rd will never work--it is just more likely to lead to DCS than others.

Dan seems to be saying, in contrast, that any strategy that ever works is equal to any other system that ever works, because all are effective.

Everyone has opinions and I am no one to say whether they are valid or not but people who do not dive ratio-deco normally over-estimate the complexity of the math involved. I discussed RD with a few friends who are die-hard critics of RD and they had no clue how to actually do a dive on ratio decompression. Yet they were so opinionated and it made me wonder if you do not know a method then where is the criticism originating from?

So normally before talking about RD I like to give the critics a few parameters. Eg. You are diving U-352. The top of the wreck is 90 and the bottom is 115. How do you plan two dives a day using RD (or min-deco?)

A person who knows Ratio Deco will give you the answer in less than 5 seconds for both dives without consulting a table or a dive computer. Now if this person is also a critic of Ratio Deco then I will value that criticism as it is coming from someone who knows exactly what he is criticizing.

If the guy responds by saying WHA?? HUH???? Or "Let me get a computer so that I can spend not 5 seconds but 10 minutes to first determine the MOD of nitrox mix for that depth after which I will get my bottom time for the first dive and then I will need a computer to put in 60 minutes of a surface interval so that I can know my bottom time for the second dive and I cant believe the stupidity of people who try to do this mentally when computers can do this so much faster than the human mind and that is why I need 10 minutes while they do it in 5 seconds" then I am having this discussion with the wrong dude no matter how self-justified he feels holding a computer in his hand.

:bigpalm:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom