Why do I fossil dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4LifeSW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, lets admit it... Fossil diving is "different"... Conditions suck most of the time. Hard-core fossil divers have been bitten or stung by something (more than once usually). Equipment is lost (I found about $2K in gear so far... if it worked.. sold most of it for scrap). Then there are the "May 20th" (see my FB page)/a fellow adventure lost. Still, we (those there on May 20th and those not) continue. I have my reasons... Multiple and will share later. But for now (and given poor dive conditions/lack of posts on the forum)... What are yours? Not diving. So, just post. Share. Enjoy the Jouney.

Can I tell you in a month? :D

We will be diving Venice Beach between XMas/NY. I can't tell you how excited we are to come down this year with a plan to find a Meg tooth. We have been searching for teeth for 2 yrs and have some great teeth, but no big megs.

I refuse to come home until I find a Meg!:wink:

The thrill of the hunt for the big ones! Conditions change daily which makes it a challenge. We all like challenges, don’t we? You never know for sure when you will get that perfect visibility and no silt on the bottom. Diving from the beach is relatively cost effective and I like saving a few bucks now and then. I also enjoy diving off a dive boat when I get a chance, which as most of us know has its own challenges. I like diving alone and the conditions most of the time really makes the diving a challenge. You need to use your compass most of the time to navigate so there is a lot to pay attention to.
So in a nutshell I guess I like the challenge and thrill of the hunt. I’m not in my world now and I have to adapt to stay alive in order to be able to come back another day.

Same reason I am a caver. For that chance of seeing or finding something that no one has ever seen before. I have not had the chance to do to much fossil diving, but I was hooked after that first dive, and after finding a good sized Mammoth tooth last July there is no looking back. I should be back in June for at least 10 days. Maybe sooner for a short trip if things go my way. After reading about the 10-12ft viz there now I am ready.

I've never done a fossil dive, but I was given a lovely gift by a friend -- about a 3 1/2 inch tooth. It was amazing to me to run my hands over it and think about the size and the power of the animal who bore and used it. I think, if I had the opportunity to do a fossil dive, I would take it. (We dive in crummy viz in Puget Sound all the time, anyway.)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom