Please help Southern Leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This subforum was the busiest pre covid with dreamers like me thinking of the adventures of the past and planning new ones for the future. Those who have been in Southern Leyte must've seen the conditions the guides and their families lived in. Most of them lived in soft material structures along the coast. Typhoon Odette destroyed most of them. They were very poor before, the little money they made was just enough for basic survival needs. How will they be able to rebuild? Unlike our governments who gave lots of money to people to stay at home , those guys in Philippines had very little given in the last 2 years, now another season is lost, and it may take a very long time for the recovery if ever.
I won't post any pics, but please search on FB " rescue Southern Leyte", " rescue Padre Burgos" etc for an idea of the destruction post Odette.
If you knew and cared for any of the guides, this would be the time to help. If you can't remember their names, ask the owners from Peter's, Sogod, So.Leyte resorts for help. Make sure the money reaches the people you intended to send it to, be aware of scams.

No power still in all of Leyte other than generators. My friend in Maasin also had her house torn apart by Odette. She said that people from Bohol were also lined up at the Maasin Western Union — possibly Bohol even worse off?
The owners of Peter’s seem to be doing an excellent job of moving relief out to their staff and the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom