Why do DM in the first place? What are the rewards for work done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not that I am opposed to helping others at all. I just won't do it on the standard terms which are I pay large sum to agency for course, then I pay for said help out of own pocket. My desire doesn't burn that hot. Although, I understand very well it may supply some with a great deal of satisfaction.

PADI (and I assume the other agencies) are a bit of a pyramid scheme; part of their revenue comes from recruiting recreational divers to pay more money to "go pro" which usually means "pay for more expensive courses to help keep the whole thing going.."

Not that that's necessarily entirely bad, it just means you have to have non-financial reasons for doing the DM course. Although in my case, it was the least expensive way to spend most of a summer in the caribbean diving every day, and that's the reason I did it. It was mostly fun, and somewhat instructive. I don't regret it at all, but I never had any illusions about trying to make any money in the dive industry. The instructors were a mixed bag, a couple of winners and a few losers. Such is life!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom