Why could this scenario become dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom_Ivan

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading some old posts about different bungee methods.

In this one (post #96) Devondiver gives an example of when a bungee failure could become life threatening but I don't see why.

The way I see it (and my experience is very limited), you have the tank attached to your hip d ring and which point a failure would just mean the tank hangs down a bit lower as you descend. Or you have the tank out in front of you in which case your holding onto it anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem?

What am I missing here?

I could see losing a bungie in a very tight place could be a problem. I don’t dive in those kind of spaces, so no worries for me. I would just hard clip it with my extra double ended and decide from there.

I've been reading some old posts about different bungee methods.

In this one (post #96) Devondiver gives an example of when a bungee failure could become life threatening but I don't see why.

The way I see it (and my experience is very limited), you have the tank attached to your hip d ring and which point a failure would just mean the tank hangs down a bit lower as you descend. Or you have the tank out in front of you in which case your holding onto it anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem?

What am I missing here?

I'm assuming in DD's example, the tanks are disconnected at the waist and hanging below the diver by the bungee as a 40cm shaft is really tight.

Without a hard attachment at the neck that bottle is hanging by the mouthpiece..

why not just ask @DevonDiver himself? Andy's on this board frequently.

I'll say it is likely due to the mexico style rigs not using neck leashes, but he may have another reason

With your tank-necks hard-leashed to your shoulders with gate-clips, a broken or rotated-off bungee is a nuisance but not a major problem. But if you're relying on the bungees to keep the tanks in place under your armpits, without gate-clips, a loosed bungee certainly would be a problem -- and in a confined space, it could become a MAJOR problem.

I do a lot of technical wreck penetration in very confined and complex areas. In many areas, I'll only have 10-20cm clearance from the 'floor' beneath me. That floor will either be (1) thick, fine silt or (2) complicated structure of pipes etc.

Dropping a cylinder into the silt poses the obvious risk of lost visibility. That risk is understood, and the divers are trained and equipped to deal with the situation.

Dropping a cylinder valve down onto steel pipework poses several risks. Firstly, it can damage the valve, handle or regulator system. Secondly, it could cause the valve to wedge between pipes etc, become trapped. In a confined space, dealing with such an entrapment could be more difficult than foreseen.

For divers not familiar with this sort of environment, it may be hard to envision the severity of the risks involved.

@DevonDiver why not use neck leashes when diving in those environments? We use them regularly in cave country for that reason. Bungee breaks and it's not bad, just annoying

Honestly, since using loop bungee there's never been an issue. The point was primarily made in relation to continuous bungee.

Chokers on the cylinder neck make manipulating and moving the cylinders much complicated and pose some risk of things getting snarled up. There's sometimes frequent need to partially remove the cylinders to pass restrictions. It also puts another snap on the shoulder D-ring, more complexity - and I don't deem the small benefit worth those drawbacks.

I like to dive clean and minimal... not clanky and complicated. That's reflected in many aspects of the configurations and protocols I use. There's a lot of things people do in Florida cave country that'd not suit the environment and style of diving I do. I've had Florida cave divers come to me for technical penetration dives inside the wrecks here - in general, they find it intimidating. One even turned/called the dive for that exact reason (which I respect).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom