Why CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm diving the Evolution, I fly it in Auto, but I do check my handset every 2 minutes. I also hear the solenoid fire, and try to mentally predict when it will fire.

I know how to, and practice manual flight, just because.

eCCR can cause complacency, but also knowing that complacency kills, I personally, am diligent.

Another reason I try to avoid the solenoid firing is because IMO, the Meg is hard on batteries. The solenoid seems to require a lot of juice to fire it and can wear the battery out on long dives. I think the battery design is one of the flaws in the Meg. A capacitor to help lessen the "shock" of the solenoid would be nice as well.

You also bring up a good point about predictions. PO2 prediction is pretty much the same to me as gas prediction on OC. I check my gauge regularly in a cave and I always know what I expect it to read before I look at it. PO2 is pretty much the same thing, looking at the handset is just a verification of what I already know.

Even the current Pursuit has an automatic backlight (where it turns on automatically if the light is dim enough) or you can just set to to always on (although this uses a tad bit more battery)

The handset on the Evolution has "key on" so when you touch a button, it lights, or "always on" which is easy to set on during a dive for when you're inside a wreck, or I would imagine - inside a cave.

Meg has the "always on" feature for the backlight as well.

A most excellent write-up! I agree with what you are saying . . . I think the 'problem' is that people CAN go from 'Newly certified' to CCR.

That's a lot like going from a private single engine prop plane to a commerical airliner. Or an F16.

However, unless you want government regulation :shocked:, it is the responsibillity of the self-policing certifiers to insure "adequate" :stirpot: experience . . . .

Yes. I hope that the industry is smart enough to do something about it before it's taken out of their hands. Greed will only be allowed to go so far (if the government's not involved). :)

Another reason I try to avoid the solenoid firing is because IMO, the Meg is hard on batteries. The solenoid seems to require a lot of juice to fire it and can wear the battery out on long dives. I think the battery design is one of the flaws in the Meg. A capacitor to help lessen the "shock" of the solenoid would be nice as well.

You also bring up a good point about predictions. PO2 prediction is pretty much the same to me as gas prediction on OC. I check my gauge regularly in a cave and I always know what I expect it to read before I look at it. PO2 is pretty much the same thing, looking at the handset is just a verification of what I already know.

Meg has the "always on" feature for the backlight as well.

Thanks for all the info so far guys. Iam going to dive a system in the next few weeks where there is a jump and the viz is one way only. Very heavy clay. I am going to take a little super bright led I have a see if I can see it. Should be interesting.

For me CCRs have one main use, deep diving at remote locations. But this does mean a fair amount of CCR diving just to maintain readiness for deep diving at remote locations.

For me CCRs have one main use, deep diving at remote locations. But this does mean a fair amount of CCR diving just to maintain readiness for deep diving at remote locations.

Well I have heard this before too. If you are gonna do CCR, you need to do it most of the time. Not some of the time. That makes sense to me.

It really is true ... I've not had my MK-15 in the water for a little more than a year and I starting to have doubts if I'll get back to it unless I hood up with another Mk-15 user for a bit of a refresher. Let's put it this way, the first time I used one I had access to government training and I was much younger and much more, shall we say, invulnerable.

Last edited:
A diver with 25 hours of diving has no business diving a CCR regardless of depth.

how long would you suggest for an a diver to wait until they make the move towards getting trained in CCR? (just curious, don't have the money to do this now but if ever I do would like to pursue.)

how long would you suggest for an a diver to wait until they make the move towards getting trained in CCR? (just curious, don't have the money to do this now but if ever I do would like to pursue.)
I've known a few, rare divers who did well with 50 hrs of background but they were extremely good waterpeople with well developed cases of OCD. I say that 200 hrs is more like it for average people.

good to know, with my situation I will likely not be able to afford a unit for at least 300 or so hours of diving anyway. (ie 3-4 years from now)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom