Why carry mask backwards at surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueeyz78:
Putting your mask on your forehead is suppose to be the universal distress signal for a diver. SSI teached that...does PADI?

So I wear my mask backwards on the surface so someone does not think I need rescuing.

It is not a signal of anything. It can be one of many signs, but never a signal. When it is a sign, it's a minor one, the other signs (thrashing and screaming) will be much more obvious, so there's no point in ever discussing a mask on the forehead as a sign of distress. When divers reject equipment, they never calmly place their mask on their forehead.

Walter beat me to it. The idea that it is a distress signal is laughable. Agencies that still teach that need to stop teaching it. If a diver panics and wants to be rid of their maskm that thing is gonna go flying. THAT might be a sign.

To be honest if floating in a quarry or spring with no waves where the risk of loss is basically non existant, putting the mask up on your forehead is quite practical as it is also very easy to quickly put back in place with one hand. If you are someplace where there is a risk of losing the mask, it should probably be on your face, not on the back of your head or under your chin.

I wear it on my forehead when I feel a need to disturb any scuba-:censored:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear it on my forehead when I feel a need to disturb any scuba-:censored:.
I have threatened to wear dual redundant snorkels to achieve the same "launch the scuba police into a frenzi" effect. This weekend I saw a vintage dual snorkel equipped full face mask in a local shop. The snorkels have those great little ping pong ball cage thingies on top of them too! Very Cool.

So I have decided that I must have it AND wear it on my forehead.

Last edited:
I have threatened to wear dual redundant snorkels to achieve the same "launch the scuba police into a frenzi" effect. This weekend I saw a vintage dual snorkel equipped full face mask in a local shop. The snorkels have those great little ping pong ball cage thingies on top of them too! Very Cool.

So I have decided that I must have it AND wear it on my forehead.

I would really love to see a picture of that!

MOF is the only way to go through life!

If it isn't on your face it belongs either: (a) under your chin, or; (b) over your arm, or; (c) in a pocket. The only thing backward has going for it is Rule Six.

I tell OW students that they should keep their masks on their foreheads for three reasons:
  1. Sooner or later they're going to have to replace it after it gets knocked off their heads and the dive shop needs the business.
  2. Watching new DM's (and a few others) spaz out when they see someone with their mask on their forehead is just plain entertaining.
  3. Keeping it on their face makes way too much sense.
Those that don't understand weren't paying attention to the lesson which I belabor only once by telling them that sooner or later Darwin reteaches the lesson with a sharp stick in the eye - which won't be a problem if their mask is where it belongs. :D

I agree with Walter that a mask on the forehead is not a signal of distress. How ever some agency still teach that it is. I tell my students that I think it is stupid but since others are teaching it that they should not do it. If they do some people (wrongly so) may think they were not trained well. I do teach and strongly believe that if you are in the water your mask should be on your face. When on the boat or on shore do what is comfortable to you. Me personally, I have a strap on each of my bc's. When I set my gear up I hook my fins and mask to the strap. When it is time to dive I slip into my bc and my mask and fin are right there. Every boat I go on there seem to always be someone asking to be handed their fin or mask. I never have to worry about it being me. Once I am geared up I do put my mask around my neck until time to get on the dive platform.

a sign of stress is the diver coming up like a rocket, hitting the surface and screaming and throwing gear. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom