Why carrry-on regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all the above reasons, but for me mainly weight.
as a note I recently had to carry a set of knives with virgin airlines in Australia.
told the check in counter and they made me have me luggage put through the security clearance,
that meant I had to hand it in, but best of all, it was personally handed back to me on the other end without waiting for the luggage unload. Apparently it does not travel with the other luggage, but in a separate compartment.

Even flying Buisness Class I will have one shirt, underwear, and a pair of socks in the carry on. Then if a bag get lost or delayed, I wash one set per night in the room and let it dry the next day. As part of the carry on, they are used as padding for lens, cameras, etc.
I also bring one change of clothes in carry-on. It has come in handy on a few occasions--I slipped out to the Hilton on a six-hour layover in Guam after two days of flying and had the best shower and nap of my life, I think. I have done laundry in the sink at times, too, but usually let the hotel do it, if need be. Bonaire is not really set up for that though. At the Harbour Village Beach Club, the hotel laundry takes a day, sometimes two.

I carry on regs and computers:

- Weight restrictions in checked bags
- Potential theft
- Potential lost bag
- Potential damage

When i get where I'm going I want to have MY regs with me, undamaged. Anything else that is lost, delayed, or somehow damaged, can be repaired or rented wherever I'm going.

+1 for these reasons

You talk about weight restrictions in checked baggage, but what about cabin baggage limits?

It depends where you are in the world, but over here in the UK, we are limited to 7kg if we are lucky and usually just 5kg. By the time I have my dive computer, camera (maybe housing, if I can squeeze it in) and laptop in my cabin bag, it is over this limit. If I put my regs in, I'd have no chance.

Mark

Fortunately I have never seen a carry-on bag weight limit here in the states. My last dive trip to the Bahamas, my carry-on weight was about 35-40 pounds. Regs, camera, video, batteries, chargers, laptop and UW-housings all carry-on.

My regs, computer, mask( prescription), and BC all go in carry on along with my 2 back up lights. I can also fit my 3 mil in there. Fins strap to the outside of it. ANd I dive a BPW which is the smallest travel bc I can think of. And like others 2 tshirts, extra trunks(spandex bike shorts) and a pair of bermudas all fit. Clothes etc go in checked or the "personal item" that fits under the seat. My overhead is the OceanicATpak that is desgined for overheads.

You talk about weight restrictions in checked baggage, but what about cabin baggage limits?

It depends where you are in the world, but over here in the UK, we are limited to 7kg if we are lucky and usually just 5kg. By the time I have my dive computer, camera (maybe housing, if I can squeeze it in) and laptop in my cabin bag, it is over this limit. If I put my regs in, I'd have no chance.

The UK is the only place I've ever been restricted on Carry On weight. They made me check my roller carry on bag. (Of course the idiots lost that bag also. I finally got it back a few days later).

The only other restrictions I've seen on carry on bags is on "small island hopper" flights. but they are concerned with overall baggage weight and limits so not to overweight the plane.

The UK is the only place I've ever been restricted on Carry On weight.
Air New Zealand, Qantas, and Singapore Airlines have checked my carry-on weight. Singapore Air let me off with a warning, the other two required me to check it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Before Scuba I used to be a one-bag traveler, that has to change now.

I also always carry-on my photo equipment. I just though that with the stages and regulators being so important they would be safer in a hard-case, but I can see how that would attract unwanted attention, AND increase the weight enormously.

So, I will carry-on the console, stages, regulator and octopus, with some clothes. My partner will carry-on the photo gear.

The BCD, wetsuit, UV body suit, snorkel, mask and some more clothes will be checked in.

The only thing I need now is to wait for Cebu Pacific to contact me. I use them a lot when flying from Taiwan to the Philippines (dirt cheap).

They have a 'Sports Package' 15kg extra weight for 1000 pesos allowing me 30kg in total (including their 7kg carry-on), so no excess weight charges.

Only thing is that they specify on their website that scuba gear must be transported in a hard-case, hope they are not too difficult about that and will accept a soft-bag seeing that it is only used for transporting non-sensitive equipment (except for the BCD).

I actually use bags made by Redoxx for my one-bag carry-on travel, really strong stuff. So, will get another bigger one for the scuba gear to check in.

I tend to pack based on weight vs. size vs. expense ratio. If the item that is heavy, small, or expensive (camera/regs/dive computer) I carry it on. So my regs, camera, dive computers, and dive lights go in my carry on. I also carry on things where fit is an issue. I carry on my mask for example. No telling if I can find a mask that fits well if my baggage does get lost. Everything else get's checked.

Other things you can do to help ensure your bags get on the plane include arriving at LEAST one hour before departure, and avoiding changing planes. If you must change planes, try to find connections where you have some time between flights.

Traveling with dive gear, and in my case camera gear sucks. I sent my UW housing/strobes etc. FedEx to/from my last two destinations. That is a good way to go assuming you have somewhere you can ship things prior to the flight.

It depends where you are in the world, but over here in the UK, we are limited to 7kg if we are lucky and usually just 5kg.

Mark

Mark, does the 7 kilo limit apply to international flights? In the USA, we are generally limited to one bag that meets size requirements (ie fits in the overhead space) and one other small carry on. I've flown out of the UK many times and never had my carry on weighed.

I have two international flights next week; one on Continental, which allows a carry-on of 18 kg, and one on Air New Zealand, which allows a carry-on of 7 kg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom