Why carrry-on regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jands

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I have learned a ton of useful stuff on this forum and have been able to make some very informed decisions about what gear to buy.

After all the reading I have done on equipment, I have been stuck for the last week on deciding how to transport all my gear.

I was planing on putting all my gear in a soft bag, and then putting the soft bag in a hard-case for airplane travel.

I noticed that many posters mention they put the regulators etc. separate and take it as carry on.

Is this because of theft, or because even a hard case is not safe enough to protect the equipment, or because ground grew/customs could open the case and damage things?

If you do carry-on do you take the whole first stage, regulator, octopus, and console (basically all the sensitive equipment)? What about the BCD, check-in or carry-on?

Is this because of theft, or because even a hard case is not safe enough to protect the equipment, or because ground grew/customs could open the case and damage things?

Answer D) All of the above.

In addition if you carry them on you know they are going to arrive with you.

I always carry on regs,lights and computers.

if properly packed, then damage is not a concern.

Theft is.

Regulators and dive computers,, dive cameras, etc are easily resold by thieves on Ebay, pawn shops, craigslist, etc.

because of that, most people carry on items that could either a.) be easily stolen for resale. or b.) could screw up their dive vacation. Most people can rent a new BC, but don't like to dive with a rental reg.

I have a simple rule for air travel. If it's expensive, fragile or difficult to replace where I am going, it travels in carry on. My regs are expensive and not easily replaced (cheaply anyway) so they go on board. The chance of thieft is too high as is the chance of them being late. I don't mind a rental BC or fins but I want my reg. While we are at it, keep your gear in a plain unmarked (scuba wise) suitcase. You don't want anything to shout out "high value gear inside, steal me".

I carry on regs and computers:

- Weight restrictions in checked bags
- Potential theft
- Potential lost bag
- Potential damage

When i get where I'm going I want to have MY regs with me, undamaged. Anything else that is lost, delayed, or somehow damaged, can be repaired or rented wherever I'm going.

You talk about weight restrictions in checked baggage, but what about cabin baggage limits?

It depends where you are in the world, but over here in the UK, we are limited to 7kg if we are lucky and usually just 5kg. By the time I have my dive computer, camera (maybe housing, if I can squeeze it in) and laptop in my cabin bag, it is over this limit. If I put my regs in, I'd have no chance.

So, I pack all my other gear into my checked baggage, which is just a plain black Stahlsac roller bag which doesn't shout 'dive gear'. Been averaging 10-12 trips a year for over 10 years travelling like this and never had a problem with anything being nicked or damaged.

Mark

I always carry my regulators and my computer because if my bag gets lost or delayed, I can use any old BCD, fins, etc. But I wouldn't want to dive with a crappy regulator, or not have my computer.

I swap my normal watch for my Suunto D9 on dive trips and pack all of my dive gear in checked luggage, split between two bags. So far it hasn't been a problem--everything arrives intact. But not always on time. On my last trip to Bonaire one of my bags took an extra couple of days, so I was without my bc, strobes, and most of my underwear. No problem. I rented a bc, took natural-light photos, and went commando. Never get so hung up on the details that they spoil your vacation--you're there to have fun.

shipwreck2.jpg

I swap my normal watch for my Suunto D9 on dive trips and pack all of my dive gear in checked luggage, split between two bags. So far it hasn't been a problem--everything arrives intact. But not always on time. On my last trip to Bonaire one of my bags took an extra couple of days, so I was without my bc, strobes, and most of my underwear. No problem. I rented a bc, took natural-light photos, and went commando. Never get so hung up on the details that they spoil your vacation--you're there to have fun.

shipwreck2.jpg

Even flying Buisness Class I will have one shirt, underwear, and a pair of socks in the carry on. Then if a bag get lost or delayed, I wash one set per night in the room and let it dry the next day. As part of the carry on, they are used as padding for lens, cameras, etc.

But having had a bag go away on Delta and never come back, make sure you have a list of all equipment with serial numbers back home and with you. Take a photo of the equipment and the bag right before you zip it up as proof.

For bag locks, I don't care for the TSA locks at all and just use Zip ties.

Last, never use expensive bags and aluminum cases. Go cheap with bags that say, "Only dirty stinky laundry here." I have one friend who then puts his bag into an old army duffel as baggage clowns see those all the time and (mostly) ignore them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom