Why can't snorkel drain itself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chongming

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a snorkel; Mares Stream Dry. Just like any other snorkels, I would rinse them with water. Funny thing is that the water collected in the purge valve cavity doesn't just drain out by itself (I was in the bathroom). And when I blow into it, it doesn't drain easily. I know my other snorkels do. Is there something wrong with it? Anybody experience this b4?

chongming:
I just bought a snorkel; Mares Stream Dry. Just like any other snorkels, I would rinse them with water. Funny thing is that the water collected in the purge valve cavity doesn't just drain out by itself (I was in the bathroom). And when I blow into it, it doesn't drain easily. I know my other snorkels do. Is there something wrong with it? Anybody experience this b4?

I have no problem draining my snorkle in the bathroom.

goofystan:
I have no problem draining my snorkle in the bathroom.

It must make a mess on the cieiling. :)

Pete

Two things going on here:
1: The reason the water in the purge valve will not drain itself is because the weight of the water in the purge valve is not sufficient to overcome the resistant force of the valve membrane.

2: When you blow into your snorkle to drain the purge valve there is no water in the air column of the snorkle to generate resistance against the air forced into the snorkel by your exhalation so that takes us back to #1 - not enough force to overcome the purge valve membrane. The air takes the path of least resistance and just goes on its merry way up and out the top of the snorkel.

Just turn it upside down.

the K

Back
Top Bottom