Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ray, Again you hit the nail on the head re useless motions. I was on the swim team in HS (44 years ago), yet couldn't even FINISH the DM 400. I found from my competitive swimming brothers that I was kicking way to often per arm stroke and knocking myself out. I probably would've failed at age 20 doing that. Once I got my form (re)-straightened out I got a 3. Being in swimming shape sure helps, but it begins with form. During the float most of our instructors review signals. Demonstrating a proper swim stroke is a good idea, but if one can't swim properly one probably needs a lot more instruction. I never swim with the students because my job is always to count laps.

Well, I grew up in Nova Scotia, in fact on the outskirts of Preston (an historic black community) and can tell you that in the 70's at least, there were hardly any black kids that were taught to swim. I lived on Lake Major and it was a very popular summer swimming lake then, and that was popular for wading for the Preston community, I can hardly recall any black swimmers. That continued thru swimming lessons and lifeguard certification at the Dartmouth YMCA. My experience in the Caymans as a dive instructor in the 90's were VERY, very few black divers on tehboat (one notable exception the annual NABS trip with Soto's).

I personally find it distressing how few african americans can swim, it's a life skill.

Yes, that obviously says something re Blacks in scuba. I've been on quite a few charters in the South and can't recall any Black divers. I only recall one Black OW student we've had here in NS since I started assisting. I do recall going to Jones Beach on Long Island growing up (and later) and seeing quite a few Blacks there & in the water. Maybe that's what I'm thinking about.

Well, I grew up in Nova Scotia, in fact on the outskirts of Preston (an historic black community) and can tell you that in the 70's at least, there were hardly any black kids that were taught to swim. I lived on Lake Major and it was a very popular summer swimming lake then, and that was popular for wading for the Preston community, I can hardly recall any black swimmers. That continued thru swimming lessons and lifeguard certification at the Dartmouth YMCA. My experience in the Caymans as a dive instructor in the 90's were VERY, very few black divers on tehboat (one notable exception the annual NABS trip with Soto's).

I personally find it distressing how few african americans can swim, it's a life skill.

I'm somewhat familiar with Preston. Wookie stated that we've convinced Blacks they are afraid of the water so they are. You said that hardly any black kids in Preston were taught swim back then. I assume you mean taught to swim by their parents. I've yet to hear anyone in the Hfx. area suggest Blacks are afraid of the water. Is it possible that at least in N.A. swimming just isn't a part of main line Black culture? I don't know. When I taught Band in Manitoba it was rare to have any First Nations (Native Canadians) kids join, even in one program where the school provided instruments free. Their numbers were not representative of their sizeable population.

I was in the deep south 1975-1985 & remember how remarkably fewer kids could swim or swim well compared to the upper midwest (i.e. home). We lived in a port city where the weather was often hot and there was lots of coastline & other places to swim. Nonetheless I can only remember one public high school that had a pool. Actually I remember thinking the scarcity of public pools was quite odd given how incredibly much use there would be for them. The public schools were at least 75% black as was the city population. Esp. in a warm climate and a coastal location the ability to swim should be considered as necessary as reading or basic math. The schools and/or whoever else should have been responsible for this didn't seem to be doing a very good job.

Someone posted a news article a couple years back about 1 kid stepping off a sandbar into deeper water and 2 more underage friends/relatives trying to help. None could swim. All ended up in the morgue. Comments on the thread sounded like general education in swimming skills hadn't improved much from what I saw 30 yrs ago.

parents weren't teaching them to swim, parents weren't sending them to swim lessons.

Frankly I don't feel "we've" convinced black people they can't swim, I think that is false.

I have seen it blamed on racism in the US (A history behind black people not swimming: Jarvis DeBerry | NOLA.com) I don't buy it, because while we have racism is Canada, we didn't have the law behind it, pools were open to everybody.

BBC News - Why don't black Americans swim?

Most Blacks Don't Swim. They Need to Learn | Psychology Today

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/opinion/water-damage-more-blacks-lack-swimming-skills.html?_r=0
I'm somewhat familiar with Preston. Wookie stated that we've convinced Blacks they are afraid of the water so they are. You said that hardly any black kids in Preston were taught swim back then. I assume you mean taught to swim by their parents. I've yet to hear anyone in the Hfx. area suggest Blacks are afraid of the water. Is it possible that at least in N.A. swimming just isn't a part of main line Black culture? I don't know. When I taught Band in Manitoba it was rare to have any First Nations (Native Canadians) kids join, even in one program where the school provided instruments free. Their numbers were not representative of their sizeable population.

… We've convinced Black Americans that they should be afraid of water, so they are…

I have come to believe that it is more complex than that. I grew up around a lot of black Americans and noticed that swimming was not as popular with them. I never really gave it much thought until joining the Navy. Passing the swimming test in boot camp was mandatory. No pass and you were a civilian again… probably seated in the draft board waiting room. Most of the black guys (about 4) and one white guy in my company were having trouble passing so two of us volunteered to help them… mostly because it meant extra time in the pool.

They had us start them with treading water, gave us a bamboo pole, and basically had them jump in the deep end of the pool. Three of the black guys sank to the bottom like rocks. We swung the pole to them and helped pull them up. I was dumbfounded by how heavy they were in the water. I worked with the three sinkers while the other recruit helped the two floaters refine their technique.

All three of the guys I was working with were tall and husky. I demonstrated buoyancy to them, emphasized keeping lungs expanded like water wings, and keeping as much of their body in the water as possible. OK, they gulp a max lung-full and lean back. Suddenly they are looking up at me lying flat on the bottom… but they didn’t sink quite as fast. Everyone I had ever seen to that point would at least float high enough out of the water to breathe with just their mouth and nose out of the water.

Anyway, we got them to the point where they could tread water for the time required and swim the required distance, but they had to work much harder at it than everyone else who could float.

The experience stuck with me and years later I came across the attached chart in a book on human engineering. It suddenly all fell into place. Notice that, on average/the 50 percentile, the proportions of the black males in the study have longer limbs and relatively short torsos compared to the other two race samples. The chart is true to the accompanying anthropometric data.

Human buoyancy is largely a balance between total bone weight and lung/air space displacement. All the other tissues in the body are +/- a few percent of the weight of sea water. Long heavy bones + proportionally small lung capacity = negative buoyancy. I have never been able to find data that includes lung volume with enough of the other anthropometric data to be more precise.

Obviously there is a huge variation within each race/anthropological group. If this chart sample holds true across the population, then it would indicate that a greater percentage of blacks would be at a disadvantage when swimming than the other races. A negatively buoyant individual must expend more energy to stay on the surface to breathe and can’t rest in the water. Therefore, that energy is not available for propulsion. This in turn would have a significant impact on cultural evolution. Shrimps like me are less likely to get a basketball scholarship just like negatively buoyant individuals are less likely to make the swim team. Fewer people in your family and community with swimming skills will reduce a person’s likelihood that they will learn to swim, even when an individual has good buoyancy characteristics.

This obviously doesn't explain all cultural discrepancies but it does strike me that it is a likely root cause of the phenomenon.

Attachments

• Anthropometrics.jpg
    Anthropometrics.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Akimbo, Thanks for the data. Interesting. I would say I have long arms, and had major problems floating with hands out 2 minutes (after 13 mins. of regular floating), for the DM test. Also, as mentioned, struggled with the 400 meter swim. I hypothesized at the time that being really negatively buoyant means that when swimming a certain larger amount of energy has to go to actually keeping you afloat, as opposed to all of it going into forward progress. Your data seems to bear this out.

… I hypothesized at the time that being really negatively buoyant means that when swimming a certain larger amount of energy has to go to actually keeping you afloat, as opposed to all of it going into forward progress. Your data seems to bear this out.

It would be interesting to learn your actual buoyancy. You could hang a luggage or fish scale off a diving board at a local swimming pool. A piece of line and lead weight suspended from the scale would give a pretty good indication.

Say the lead and line registered 20 Lbs. Have someone record the weight with you in a swim suit and a max lung full while you are hanging and fully immersed. Say it indicates 18 Lbs. That would prove that you are 2 Lbs positively buoyant in fresh water with a max lung full of air. Obviously you can’t swim normally when fully inflated.

Then repeat the test with a “normal/average” comfortable lung full (your best guess). Say the scale measures 22 Lbs. when fully immersed. That indicates that you are 2 Lbs negative at that lung inflation. It also indicates that the difference between max and comfortable inflation is 4 Lbs or 1.81 liters less air than max (1 Liter of fresh water = 1 Kg or 2.2 Lbs. — hope I did the arithmetic right :wink:

This is a good chance to see what nearly fully deflated weighs if you can hold your breath long enough in that state. It’s also a good way to get dive students to personalize and visualize Archimedes' principle.

Weigh yourself dry and you can calculate your body displacement, which is useful for calculating buoyancy in sea water.

Thanks. I've printed this out and may get a chance to try it next month.

Back
Top Bottom