Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who convinced Black Americans they are afraid of the water? First I've ever heard even that they as a whole WERE afraid of it. How many white people from Ferguson get to the ocean?

Why don't more of the certifying agencies put on more TV commercials? Do they not need it? I mean one of the biggest things that can generate interest about something is TV. I have never seen a commercial on TV for PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. I feel that if certifying agencies would promote their business more, they would generate more interest.

Lots of people are interested in Scuba diving but don't really know where to start. I suspect if there were more TV ads by certifying agencies (or heck even local dive shops) people would be more likely to try it out. Obviously retention is another issue discussed here but in terms of getting people INTERESTED in diving, TV is a big one. We always see ads for Skiing, snowboarding, etc, but none for diving...

Why don't more of the certifying agencies put on more TV commercials? Do they not need it? I mean one of the biggest things that can generate interest about something is TV. I have never seen a commercial on TV for PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. I feel that if certifying agencies would promote their business more, they would generate more interest.

Lots of people are interested in Scuba diving but don't really know where to start. I suspect if there were more TV ads by certifying agencies (or heck even local dive shops) people would be more likely to try it out. Obviously retention is another issue discussed here but in terms of getting people INTERESTED in diving, TV is a big one. We always see ads for Skiing, snowboarding, etc, but none for diving...

Interesting point. I was half way through my OW course before I even knew what a PADI was. And just happened to be walking by the shop when I thought I'd go in and check it out.

I've encountered a lot of people who would like to try it, and I think a lot of people probably still do- often just to check it out and to say they've done it. Whether they stick with it as a lifetime hobby or a even 5-10 years is another matter altogether. Cost is often prohibitive, especially among young people today, and opportunities to dive are limited if they don't live near the ocean or down south where the more exciting/interesting and more comfortable warm water dives are. And again with young people, there is much more by way of thrill seeking activities than when I was a teen or in my 20's- and fast, extreme and 'intense' seems to be what they prefer now. I get the feeling the sport peaked at some point in the 90's, at least that is my perception here in central canada, perhaps in places like Florida, Hawaii, or perhaps BC it is is still going as strong as ever..? But again when I bring up scuba people do show interest so perhaps it is a marketing thing as well.

It does work, according to the people who walk in our shops and tell us they saw our ads on the teevee. I've been b****ing at both manufacturers and training agencies about exactly what you're saying above for years now. Thus far, not a one of them has done a single thing along those lines. The excuse I usually hear is along the lines of "why would we spend money on advertising when the customers might go in the shop and buy someone else's products/training?" That, politely, is balderdash. Look at any other consumer product that has competition (read: everything) and look how nervous they are about getting people into stores to buy their products--which are on their shelves right next to their competitors.

There is no other industry that allows the tail to wag the dog more than this one. Hell, look how many ads are out there for completely unrelated products/activities that feature scuba as a part of their visual messaging. You think ad agencies do that because they need to fill five seconds in a thirty second spot? Or, just maybe, their millions of dollars of market research has shown that scuba diving appeals to consumers? Maybe?

Oh, don't get me started--again. My head hurts.

I've encountered a lot of people who would like to try it, and I think a lot of people probably still do- often just to check it out and to say they've done it. Whether they stick with it as a lifetime hobby or a even 5-10 years is another matter altogether. Cost is often prohibitive, especially among young people today, and opportunities to dive are limited if they don't live near the ocean or down south where the more exciting/interesting and more comfortable warm water dives are. And again with young people, there is much more by way of thrill seeking activities than when I was a teen or in my 20's- and fast, extreme and 'intense' seems to be what they prefer now. I get the feeling the sport peaked at some point in the 90's, at least that is my perception here in central canada, perhaps in places like Florida, Hawaii, or perhaps BC it is is still going as strong as ever..? But again when I bring up scuba people do show interest so perhaps it is a marketing thing as well.
Down here in Palm Beach I'd say it's still going strong. I've heard 2009 was really rough for the local shops and a bunch closed down, but it was rough everywhere and for everything. Within 25 miles I have access to probably 10+ charters, 8+ shops, and a lot of instructors. If not more, and sometimes I'll be driving around and see a store with a scuba flag that I've never noticed before.

As much as I enjoy scuba diving, if I lived in a landlocked state that didn't have areas to dive that were accessible and interesting, I probably would never dive. So I can understand the lack of growth in those kinds of areas.

Lot's of good posts in this thread with lots of good analitical views and ideas.
There are many regional angles to this issue, some places do well and some places struggle. It probably depends a lot on the local culture and the accessability to diving, charters, shops, etc.
California and Florida probably lead as the overall diving culture leaders, at least in the US.
I think all the responses are right to some degree. There is no one real answer because there are too many variables.
Some TV ads would be nice. Individual dive shops doing some radio ads would be nice. More TV shows and movies about diving would be nice. A CSI type crime show involving diving as a focus, or perhaps some sort of coastal patrol show cracking down on poaching rings and illegal drug running (Sea Hunt style) would be nice.
All this stuff would help. There is absolutely nothing right now to turn a persons head and make them look at diving and spark their imaginations.

The one thing we can all agree on is that there is very little to no exposure to diving for the general public in the USA right now in any medium.
Like it was said, many people just happened to walk by a dive shop and decided to walk in. That's not something the industry can rely on.
I've also seen it said that we need to keep divers diving and retention is a problem. Actually the bigger problem is just getting them to start diving period. Let's worry about retention after we get them in the door.

---------- Post added December 15th, 2014 at 03:29 PM ----------

Down here in Palm Beach I'd say it's still going strong. I've heard 2009 was really rough for the local shops and a bunch closed down, but it was rough everywhere and for everything. Within 25 miles I have access to probably 10+ charters, 8+ shops, and a lot of instructors. If not more, and sometimes I'll be driving around and see a store with a scuba flag that I've never noticed before.

As much as I enjoy scuba diving, if I lived in a landlocked state that didn't have areas to dive that were accessible and interesting, I probably would never dive. So I can understand the lack of growth in those kinds of areas.
I've heard of diving being so addictive that people actually moved and rearranged their lives so they could be somewhere that has good diving. Diving comes first, work and survival just supports diving.

Region really has very little to do with it. Accessibility, customer service, a quality experience, a quality facility, all are more important. We're in Nebraska (where there is NO water) and Missouri. Pretty robust travel program, though.

Region really has very little to do with it. Accessibility, customer service, a quality experience, a quality facility, all are more important. We're in Nebraska (where there is NO water) and Missouri. Pretty robust travel program, though.
So living by the ocean where a person can shore dive or jump on a charter boat at a moments notice has little to do with it?
Accessability? in what context, getting to the dive shop, the water?
Customer service, yes is important but if you're in an area with NO water then you could have the best customer service in the world and still no local diving. Same with quality experience. Same with quality facility. But the fact remains, if there's NO water then there's NO local diving that a person can do on a daily, weekly, biweekly, monthly, or whatever basis. How many trips do people take a year out of your shop? 1, 2, 6 , 10? How many dives do they get in a year on these trips?
Your trips are what keep you going and your great customer service will keep them coming in to take those trips. You have to be good or else people will easily find something else to do, and it sounds to me like you have that under control.
My point was that there is a diving culture in an area where there is local diving much like there is a surfing culture in a place where there are waves. So I do believe there are more divers overall in places close to water than places with no water.
Do you have any surf shops in Nebraska?

Around here people shore dive and do local diving mostly up and down the coast from Mendocino County all the way down to San Diego. And of course there are some that take trips. We do way more local diving, and you do way more far away trips (per capita).

Don't see how you can say that. I'm in MO most of the year and I enjoy dive travel, but it's nothing (dollars or time) compared to the time I spend in the Keys each year. Ready access takes diving to a completely different level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom