Why are we so mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My grandma would've whupped my ass if she thought I was being mean ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yessir, isn't it interesting to note how you still hear her voice when you "might" be doing something that she would disagree with...in that Grandma sort of way. :no:

Cyp

IMHO and i am a DIR diver, it is the misconception that GUE divers feel they are "elite" and that makes everyone else, well non elite? JJ coined the term so lets ask him. He is feeding this monster of meanness even if he is unaware and uninvolved by making a divide between his philosophy of gear configuration and everyone else. He should if he wants to smooth the divide between GUE members and other DIR divers to be less pompous and more humble in his writing of DIR.

Huh? You will get plenty of dispute that JJ coined the phrase - DIR.

"He is feeding this monster of meanness even if he is unaware and uninvolved by making a divide between his philosophy of gear configuration and everyone else?"

That's the oddest thing I have heard in a while and I hang out in the Pub.

I love my GUE background its a way to have a similar standard that is also shared by UTD and TDI so it is, not so freaking elite,

GUE and TDI share the same standards? :idk:

it is however a safe and mostly sane way to dive. But there are other sane ways to dive and as my AD teacher told me JJ said to him, if you can tell me why you are doing (whatever) another way and it makes sense, then go for it.
I am sure GUE appreciates your approval. :wink:

Last edited:
I am not a DIR diver. I am a scuba diver.

I have friends who dive all different styles, and in a wide variety of gear choices. I watch, and learn, and try out what seems to work best, adopting what does work best for me, and right now a lot of the "DIR" gear, and approach to diving makes sense to me, but in no way do these choices make me better or worse than any other diver.

how stupid was I to think that i could actually post in a scuba forum and not be picked apart by sharks. i am outa here. two years off the boards was a good idea. think i will go back to it.

Last edited:
Ok first of all i never said JJ coined the term DIR< read my post carefully....I said in his book and in his presentations of GUE classes that he uses the term ELITE.
Your post was pretty ambiguous about what JJ coined... by reading it any normal person could conclude that you were referring to either DIR or elite. Easy enough mistake to make and thanks for your clarification. That being said, I think you have JJ confused with GI3. Most everyone that I know blames the latter for the stroke wars we get from time to time. Much of the meanness we see comes from little GI3 wannabes (the real strokes) who are trying to prove themselves more elite by belittling others as best they can. From what I have heard, even George sees them as pathetic. While many people see strokes as merely unsafe divers, they were the ones stroking their own egos and trying to act like they were something they weren't. Their danger is not in how they dive, but in how they promote unrealistic and unsafe attitudes among other divers.

Huh? You will get plenty of dispute that JJ coined the phrase - DIR.

"He is feeding this monster of meanness even if he is unaware and uninvolved by making a divide between his philosophy of gear configuration and everyone else?"

That's the oddest thing I have heard in a while and I hang out in the Pub.

GUE and TDI share the same standards? :idk:

I am sure GUE appreciates your approval. :wink:

I don't know if or how much of this post was meant as tongue in cheek but the irony here cracks me up!

how stupid was I to think that i could actually post in a scuba forum and not be picked apart by sharks. i am outa here. two years off the boards was a good idea. think i will go back to it.

By then, TDI could conceivably have eclipsed GUE as the premier training agency in the world and have full control over the exploration of the WKPP project. Two years may have been too lengthy of an absence from the boards. :wink:

Hey, none of us are immune to occasional criticism in here. After all, it is the internet, and whatever/whenever we post we may trigger someone's reaction. Nothing unique to SB, in fact I have been on other forums on the net where they make SB seem like kindygarten, when it comes to harsh reactions and flaming poster one disagrees with, or simply does not like.

It pays to develop a thick skin, say what you really think, and dam the consequences if it triggers a reaction from someone. After all, it is just words, and ideas, and they can not hurt you if you do not let them.

I consider JJ a friend and do not see any of the nefarious intent you so glibly assign to him. I don't mind telling you and others that I simply and humbly disagree. There were absolutely no flames directed your way by Scott or myself, yet you refer to being "picked apart by sharks". Your poorly worded post made some pretty pointed and controversial claims. Look at this one about JJ: "He is feeding this monster of meanness". Someone politely disagreed with your assessment of JJ and you act like they personally attacked you. Like some kid who lost a game of kickball, you throw a tantrum then tell us that you're going to take your ball and go home because people won't let you win! Oh the drama! You commented on JJ with naked venom and you were called on it. This is an example of your karma running over your dogma.

I wish now that I had quoted your post in its entirety before you edited it. Only a portion of it now exists in my post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/401853-why-we-so-mean-6.html#post6122973 . In it, you besmirched Scott for him pointing out the inconsistencies in your previous post. Note that the only one to call you a name in this thread was you calling yourself stupid. Here is a concept for everyone to understand: If you poke someone in the eye on a public forum, then there very well may be others willing to defend them. You reap what you sow. If you are mean to others, others will be glad to show you just how wrong you are. That's not you being picked apart by sharks, but rather us stopping you from needlessly picking others apart. Also, if you take every disagreement with you as a personal attack, perhaps forums aren't for you. What you really want is a blog, where your opinions can be voiced with little to no discussion about their veracity. Here, you will find people wanting to discuss various aspects of any concept which means that some will concur while others object. Its a give and take that most people find not only exhilarating, but useful in developing their own opinions as they gain new perspectives. Yes, your mind may be made up and you don't want to be confused by the facts, but that's not the case for the vast majority of us who read and post here. I like having my opinions challenged. Its a great way to learn.

you all so missed my point there is not enough time in my day to correct you. I never said any thing bad about JJ> i think he is a nice man. peter....but i said that HIS USING THE WORD ELITE MAKES A DIVIDE IN THE DIVE INDUSTRY by leading his team down a path that creates a superior feeling of how to dive. I said by using this word he is feeding the monster of meanness. READ carefully before opening mouth. I never said anything against him as a person. As i dont know him why would i do that?

I will stand by my knowledge of first hand meanness coming from the DIR community. I am after all a part of it and I do get to hear all the laughter about any other group of divers. and I dont need to have anyone change my mind. I have a mind. I use it, i see it, i hear the comments made by some people from that group about others and they are mean.

Scott L I stated that you can get the same quality training from TDI as you can from GUE. never did i bring up the special qualities of WKKP and how that is an outstanding accomplishment .

If you dont agree with me, that is fine. but you are the stunning example of not letting MY opinion into YOUR brain. I on the other hand wadded through 11 pages of this post before giving my opnion of why posters are mean.

but dont put mine down just because they dont agree with you

Jim I have no interest in getting a thick skin. I would rather just not post on sb. You and I know each other and you know I am a nice person , not mean or malicous, and I have no desire to change that because I was taken by a post my friend made and had my own opinion on the topic. having said that , hope to dive with you soon. next spring seems like a date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom