Why are we so mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I remember that dive from another angle? And I think based on head-size I might be the diver directly above the single tank diver's head...

I think that was you ... LJ's out there somewhere ... and the folks to the right of you in the pic are BDub and Edge (our local UTD instructors). And if I'm not mistaken, the guy with the red stripe on his hood just over the CCR guy's left shoulder is rjack.

We had something like 60 divers in the water that day ... everything from brand-new PADI OW to deep-wreck CC to DIR to old-farts-who've-been-diving-for-decades ... and just about everything in between. Best part was how well everyone enjoyed the day and each other's company during the parking lot pot-luck.

The guy in the singles rig took Fundies ... but was using borrowed gear that day. The tank, in fact, is one of mine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm gunna guess they're all GUE trained
Chris (single tank) is a former student of mine who went on to take Fundies, as well as a UTD class or two. Josh (CCR) is PADI/IANTD trained. Jeff (doubles) is SSI/NAUI trained.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back to the subject.

I think some folks on SB are mean, because .....some folks are just mean.

Being anonymous does not allow them to become someone else, as much as it allows them to be the real thing, but they are trying to avoid the consequences.

Reactions: Jax
I don't use my real name ... but everybody knows what it is anyway. Lots of folks even know what I look like. I have, many times, had complete strangers walk up to me and say "are you NWGratefulDiver from ScubaBoard?"

Scary ... well ... except for the time that person was ScubaSam ... then it was delightful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:blush: You say the sweetest things, Bob. Your check is in the mail. :wink:

It can be scary when complete strangers call out my name or say, "Hi, Sam" as if we've met before and I'm left wondering how I know them, why can't I remember their name, who are they? Upon seeing my confused (slightly petrified) look, they chuckle and explain that they know of me through Scubaboard. This happens at dive sites, even in Mexico!! :shakehead:

There are some good points in this thread. I believe training whether DIR or non-DIR does not make a person act mean or rude. Stop blaming the training for a character flaw. I've seen mean-spirited behavior across the board not just from the self-identified DIR divers. We all have the ability to be mean but we also have the ability to temper it. Many here choose not to temper whether they are hiding behind the username of anonymity or the username with their name.

We are here on SB presumably because we enjoy reading, learning and talking about scuba with other divers. If someone is here for a different reason, don't engage them. It's very simple, treat others as you'd want to be treated. Don't engage or feed the poster who is being a jerk. If you feel compelled to do something, hit the report button regardless of whether you're reporting a member or a staff.

Good reasons to be anonymous on forum: because you can have fun saying/asking stupid things on forum and no one will recognize you. If you get bashed, it’s ok. Or you can be (a little) mean to let go some steam after a tough day of work and who cares.

Example (any resemblance to any people is complete coincidence):
I’m a smart and cute girl called Sam, who has a date this week-end with a diver. I don’t know much about diving, just got certified, but I know my date is all into it. I want to increase my knowledge on this, so I end up asking a few questions on SB (why a long hose, why black, why a BP, why a long inflator hose, why ..etc…) and I get bashed by a few people, especially a particularly nasty one (anonymously calling himself NonGracefuldiver…). It’s ok, I’m smart so I don’t care, and just get the knowledge. And thanks to this, I got a successful date with a great guy called Bob who tells me he had a tough week at work and is so glad to meet someone interested in scuba diving.

;-)

I don’t think people are that mean on SB/DIR (but it’s also true I had quite some fun reading some of Irvine’s notes, so may have high tolerance!). There are much worse people in real scuba life (for some reason, often male and teck, not active on forum, irrelevant to DIR/UTD/GUE). Some can be really impressive. Probably something linked to shoe size and IQ, which you can forgive, but not always either.

There are forums where real jerks use their real names, I find it interesting. Even useful if you get opportunity to meet them, especially if they want to ask you something.
Some people are also very nice on forum and you might be surprised they are not always behaving that way in the real life.

At the end, just forums, so move on and get the good from the bad.

To the not completely anonymous OP, I think any subject which brings the ‘us’ vs ‘they’ attitude, even meaning for the good is always risky business to solve anything, but it did generate a great threat!

I don't use my real name ... but everybody knows what it is anyway. Lots of folks even know what I look like. I have, many times, had complete strangers walk up to me and say "are you NWGratefulDiver from ScubaBoard?"

Scary ... well ... except for the time that person was ScubaSam ... then it was delightful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's because you look like your avatar, albeit with a bit more silver. :)

The purpose of the thread was to try to encourage DIR divers to be more polite and tactful in their advice and criticisms, so that DIR diving and divers don't come across to the remainder of SB as a bunch of mannerless jerks . . .

DIR or similar would seem to be a mindset that appreciates effienciency & effectiveness
- If the other person has made it clear that they are not listening, you're are wasting your time. Worse, you're pushing things in the wrong direction: The less you aggravate them & make them feel the need to defend themselves, the faster they will relax, thaw their defence and begin to consider your message. [philosophy formed from having had 3 teenagers in the house]
- Most of us aren't the person you are arguing with. So please don't make reading the exchange unneccesarily unpleastant/boring/annoying for everyone else. Grandma was really right about how folks appreciate civil behavior.
- Grandma might have also said something about catching more flies with honey. She got that one right too.

DIR or similar would seem to be a mindset that appreciates effienciency & effectiveness
- If the other person has made it clear that they are not listening, you're are wasting your time. Worse, you're pushing things in the wrong direction: The less you aggravate them & make them feel the need to defend themselves, the faster they will relax, thaw their defence and begin to consider your message. [philosophy formed from having had 3 teenagers in the house]
- Most of us aren't the person you are arguing with. So please don't make reading the exchange unneccesarily unpleastant/boring/annoying for everyone else. Grandma was really right about how folks appreciate civil behavior.
- Grandma might have also said something about catching more flies with honey. She got that one right too.

My grandma would've whupped my ass if she thought I was being mean ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

IMHO and i am a DIR diver, it is the misconception that GUE divers feel they are "elite" and that makes everyone else, well non elite? JJ coined the term so lets ask him. He is feeding this monster of meanness even if he is unaware and uninvolved by making a divide between his philosophy of gear configuration and everyone else. He should if he wants to smooth the divide between GUE members and other DIR divers to be less pompous and more humble in his writing of DIR. In person, I am told he is a sweetie and may be oblivious to this hiccup , but i doubt it.

but that is just how i see it, i may be totally wrong.

I love my GUE background its a way to have a similar standard that is also shared by UTD and TDI so it is, not so freaking elite, it is however a safe and mostly sane way to dive. But there are other sane ways to dive and as my AD teacher told me JJ said to him, if you can tell me why you are doing (whatever) another way and it makes sense, then go for it.

There is never a reason to be mean, its just the response to a cultism that comes along with the word "elite" that brings some divers to be over critical, and most people don't take the time, care and necessary verbiage to do no harm in getting their message across.

with respect
w

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom