Why are their no Fl Keys trips offered through AZ LDS's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to take a trip to dive the keys. All the LDS's seem to offer plenty of trips to SoCal, San Carlos, and then the exotic locals. I have yet to see anyone offering any organized trips to the Keys.

Why is this? Cheap airfares, no passport issues, reasonable lodging and boat trip prices, along with quality diving sites with lots of wrecks and reefs would seem to be a popular destination.

Last year I was trying to put together my own trip and found that I could get airfare, cheap hotel, 3 days of boat diving for not much more money as it would cost for a San Carlos trip. Had I had another couple of people to offset a rental car and go in on a nicer two bedroom condo it would have actually cost the same or maybe even less. However, because I am a newer diver I wanted to go on a trip where I could meet other divers so I went to San Carlos through an LDS instead.

I still want to do a FL trip but would prefer to go with a group for the social aspect and as an opportunity to glean some knowledge from more experienced divers. Is there no interest, no money in it for the LDS, or do people just make their own trip plans?

Thanks,

'bob

My dive club makes a lot of trips there from Houston because we like diving the wrecks there. But it's a lot of work and not much cheaper if any than Cozumel. One of the problems is that it's not a "package destination" where you can make one phone call and you're done. Many dive shops just work through a travel agent and build in a small profit.

With the Keys you have to make all the arrangements separately - airfare, rental car, lodging, diving. It's just a lot of work getting availability and reservations all aligned, then calculating a total price for the participant. Rental car costs depends on how many per car, same for condo costs. You almost need to know your group size before you calculate the cost. Our club usually fills a roster before working out the details while shops tend to work from the opposite direction.

I think if Key Largo had a major airport with comparable fares the place would double in popularity. It's a hassle when you have to fly into Ft Lauderdale or Miami, rent a car and drive 90 minutes to 2 hours to your motel.

Hey Bob,

I have looked several times at taking a Keys trip and found PHX to PBI fares on Delta (non-stop) from $238 r/t. Then rent a car ($244 for 9 days from Budget)and drive down to the Keys.
Sounds like fun to me....

Back
Top Bottom