Why are PADI replacement cards so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does your high school also post them globally?

Does it also maintain a globally accessible database, on dedicated servers, so that the card can be printed on demand?

I'm not saying that $37 is fair... I couldn't guess at what PADI's profit margin was on replacement cards.... but printing, shipping and recording a replacement c-card isn't comparable with your high school owning a card-printer and knocking off a few IDs for local distribution to staff.

Well we do what is essentially the same thing but for over 2500 students, we whip them out. Dedicated servers? Have you tried accessing the database on line? It ain't happening and according to the site it is indefinitely down. As a former webmaster, I'd say there is a likelihood that the "dedicated" server is in a server farm, I haven't looked.

Posting the card internationally LIKE YOU WOULD A LETTER isn't a large financial responsibility. Again, and I don't get this with the egos we have on this board for thinking we are smart, read my posts, I don't want it for FREE, I would just like a fair price. And monopoly is right. I'm just not going to replace the card.

Well... you are essentially paying $37 to change a picture. It's not like you really -need- to replace it.

-B

Ya I've never been refused, I've been looked at funny (I guess because I'm fatter and have more hair), and one LDS owner said I should think about getting a newer card. I guess I know what I'm going to say on the next visit. LOL

So I guess I'll just suck it up and drive on.

Well we do what is essentially the same thing but for over 2500 students, we whip them out.

PADI just hit 2 million certifications. Even broken down into regional processing centres, that takes a dedicated full-time staff. In your high school, 2500 cards might take (an otherwise employed) office administrator a couple of days... then it's mostly done for the year.

Postage is international. There has to be a consistent price that can cover any postage situation. Obviously PADI profit on internal US shipping, but they shouldn't lose out when someone does a course in Fiji and wants their card sent to their home in Alaska.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you... $37 is expensive. But, without understanding the basis for that cost, I don't think its fair to leap to assumptions. I've worked in the scuba industry (and others) for long enough to know that you shouldn't leap to assume vast profits without understanding that there are some pretty high overheads sometimes.

You're assuming that you aren't getting a "fair price". Others are advising you on the pitfalls of making assumptions...

My last tec student thought I was making a mint out of his $500 course... until I pointed out that I was only making $65 as pure profit for myself. Go figure...

Padi gets a PORTION of the $37 bucks. The dive shop gets something for it's time.

Andy thanks for the thoughtful response. You have some good points, but it appears that the assumption goes both ways. Of the 2 million certificates I'm certain that not everyone has waited for 29 or so years like me to get the card replaced, but on the same token, I'm certain they have a few that require cards replaced for whatever reason, either loss or neglect. But of this I'm certain, they have built in both a healthy profit, as a well a punitive cost into the production of the card.

I apologize if this is somewhat disjointed, I'm at lunch and students are talking to me about upcoming exams.

Padi gets a PORTION of the $37 bucks. The dive shop gets something for it's time.

I was trying to do it via online. I thought part of the $37 was for the aware thing (or whatever its called). Then I saw the $10 donation thing. No LDS involved here.

I'll take another level of certification before I pay that stupid of a price.

Perhaps you've always known the answer to the question?

Perhaps you've always known the answer to the question?

You know, that is a profound statement. Maybe this is where we come to sort of chew the fat, like a pub, or club. But you have a great point.

My original card (SSI) was included in the price of the open water course and I don't know the cost of a replacement. However, my LDS wants $40 for each specialty card which seems expensive to me. The price of the specialty course only includes two dives as well as two hours reviewing the manual with a dive-con.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom