DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevermind, I'm just rambling. I using these posts as an excuse not to do other stuff I should be doing right now.

I meant allowing people to take classes. Not instructors. Why can't someone take a tec 2 or ccr1 without having done fundi. If you cannot get through it, it's a fail. Having to buy the whole program is one thing that makes tham seem cultish.

Oh. You can do that. I did not take tech 1 and went straight to tech 2. You need to be pretty ******* good though because if you are not, you ruin the class for others, which as you noted is very very expensive

For this reason it is exceedingly rare

If I know my buddies and trust them, I can dive with them up to their or my training & experience limits, depending on who has less experience and training.
You are kidding yourself. You don't know how your buddy will react in a real life scary situation. Training in benign conditions is fine and dandy. And training is just one thing, some people are just more nervous types and crack more easily than others by nature.
That dude in the report litehedded postet also trusted his buddy and likely thought she was great. What you think double fatalities come from. Circlejerking amonst your gue buddies about how great and elite you are isn't helping much should the **** really hit the fan some day and you sit there, by yourself, the first time in your life, alone underwater. I rather have a competent buddy but, in contrast to you, I know I'm ok by myself and I'm prepared to get to the surface/out of the cave with the gas an gear I bring.

[here, as usual, you say something about me even if you have no idea about it - I won't reply]. You don't know how your buddy will react in a real life scary situaetion. Training in benign conditions is fine and dandy. And training is just one thing, some people are just more nervous types and crack more easily than others by nature.
That dude in the report litehedded postet also trusted his buddy and likely thought she was great. What you think double fatalities come from. [here, again, you say something about me even if you have no idea about it]. I rather have a competent buddy but, [and again something about me], I know I'm ok by myself and I'm prepared to get to the surface/out of the cave with the gas an gear I bring.
Agree 100%, I can fail my evaluation, and anyone can. Also, accidents may happen, like people having a medical event underwater. This is why self-reliance and being prepared to end a dive solo are critical, I agree that any advanced diver should be trained to this point, and, lastly, these aspects are part of the training I did.

You can do that. I did not take tech 1 and went straight to tech 2.
I've been told by an instructor that's a thing on paper but is really only allowed when you're friends with someone from gue HQ or have some connection like that. You probably knew the crew for a while before you did it.

You need to be pretty ******* good though because if you are not,
I honestly doubt that these classes are nearly as tough as people claim they are. When I look through what's required it's pretty basic stuff. Doing a skill in trim and depth change is really only hard when your bouyancy and trim kinda sucks to begin with. When you have use up bandwith in oder to stay in trim you'll have a hard time.

With their business model GUE cuts out a lot of people who would be good in favour of the once with money.
If you start diving as a middle aged dude who's been desk jockey and who's never played any sports in their life you're not going to find any sport type stuff easy to learn. That's probably the issue to some degree, that's the crowd your getting at these prices. If more students would be mid 20s that are in shape and have logged 500 dives before the class, you'd have a much different outcome for sure.
Even in OW classes the 50 year old dude with a beer belly is going to find the class much harder than the 22 year old that's been playing baskedball since he was 6.

For someone who has "no interest", you sure seem to care A LOT about whether they would "pull your card" for solo diving
I don't think "care" is the right word. Just like the title of this thread from the OP, the word is "interested".....

I think folks may be "interested" in what GUE is about and how they operate. If not then we wouldn't have over a thousand posts on this thread. But just because they may be interested in what GUE does doesn't necessarily mean they are interested in being a GUE diver, going on GUE dive charters or living by GUE rules...

I don't think "care" is the right word. Just like the title of this thread from the OP, the word is "interested".....

I think folks may be "interested" in what GUE is about and how they operate. If not then we wouldn't have over a thousand posts on this thread. But just because they may be interested in what GUE does doesn't necessarily mean they are interested in being a GUE diver, going on GUE dive charters or living by GUE rules...
People don’t seem interested. They think they already know better and are here to talk ****

I've been told by an instructor that's a thing on paper but is really only allowed when you're friends with someone from gue HQ or have some connection like that. You probably knew the crew for a while before you did it.

I honestly doubt that these classes are nearly as tough as people claim they are. When I look through what's required it's pretty basic stuff. Doing a skill in trim and depth change is really only hard when your bouyancy and trim kinda sucks to begin with. When you have use up bandwith in oder to stay in trim you'll have a hard time.

With their business model GUE cuts out a lot of people who would be good in favour of the once with money.
If you start diving as a middle aged dude who's been desk jockey and who's never played any sports in their life you're not going to find any sport type stuff easy to learn. That's probably the issue to some degree, that's the crowd your getting at these prices. If more students would be mid 20s that are in shape and have logged 500 dives before the class, you'd have a much different outcome for sure.
Even in OW classes the 50 year old dude with a beer belly is going to find the class much harder than the 22 year old that's been playing baskedball since he was 6.
I’ll just add my reply here as well that I dm’d you

The tech 2 class is the hardest class in diving IMO. The blue water bottle rotations normally are what get people. BOTH my teammates failed out and I had to have AJ come down and be my buddy to complete it.

If the instructor doesn’t know you personally and have confidence you won’t slow the class down, you need to pay them their daily rate to check you out. You need to demonstrate that you know everything from the classes you are skipping (not just skills but the academics and everything) to a passing level because there is no time during the class to teach it to you. And bad buddies in your class can make it very difficult for someone to pass it because a lot is riding on the teamwork. This is why it’s basically not a real option most of the time. If you reach out to an instructor about it they would explain all this before you committed to a check out day.

I’m here to tell you that class IS as hard as people are saying. Harder than the rb80 class for sure and that one isn’t easy either.

Fundies I only took because an instructor allowed me to take it for free. It’s not that hard. People that can’t get a tech pass in that class plain aren’t ready for technical training in my opinion. But other agencies will happily take their money and tell them otherwise.

Nevermind, I'm just rambling. I using these posts as an excuse not to do other stuff I should be doing right now.

I meant allowing people to take classes. Not instructors. Why can't someone take a tec 2 or ccr1 without having done fundi. If you cannot get through it, it's a fail. Having to buy the whole program is one thing that makes tham seem cultish.
The fundamentals pre req was born out of people not being good enough to take the cave or tech classes.

I would be less than thrilled if I took time off work, traveled to the course location, booked accommodation, and then couldn’t finish the class because the other student’s skills weren’t up to par.

The blue water bottle rotations normally are what get people. BOTH my teammates failed out and I had to have AJ come down and be my buddy to complete it.

Do the GUE instructors act as instructors/educators or just concentrate on being a "Pass/No Pass" filters? As a neutral observer here, I come away from monitoring the talk about "failure" of people in GUE courses with the impression that GUE instructors and agency thrive and want people to fail rather than help and guide students to learn and succeed. This is the recurrent theme in ALL the posts I have been reading and monitoring related to GUE.

NOTE: When the failure rate in any given course is high or even intermediate, this is a reflection on the agency and instructor NOT on the students. It isn't something to boast about by the instructor and agency. The instructor failed the students.

You are kidding yourself. You don't know how your buddy will react in a real life scary situation. Training in benign conditions is fine and dandy. And training is just one thing, some people are just more nervous types and crack more easily than others by nature.
That dude in the report litehedded postet also trusted his buddy and likely thought she was great. What you think double fatalities come from. Circlejerking amonst your gue buddies about how great and elite you are isn't helping much should the **** really hit the fan some day and you sit there, by yourself, the first time in your life, alone underwater. I rather have a competent buddy but, in contrast to you, I know I'm ok by myself and I'm prepared to get to the surface/out of the cave with the gas an gear I bring.
None of us are reliant on our buddy. Period. I can (and god knows I have) manage any issue by myself.

Having a buddy makes it easier and better.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom