Why are lights prohibited at some dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the "hot" warnings on coffee cups was the real deal too. Check it out.

Even without the suits, body recovery must be expensive.

body recovery is free, at least in that area
IUCRR

Coffee cups, suffocation warnings on bags, most all of the "no sh!t sherlock" warning signs that you see are caused by very real lawsuits that happened because people realized they could take advantage of the situation and get money. It sucks but it is what it is. If you want to take lights in there, get a cavern cert....

. . .
If the site does not have a cave/cavern then I don't see a point in disallowing lights.
. . .

At what site that does NOT have a cave or cavern are lights prohibited?

Anecdotal understanding of a situation (money grabbing coffee spillers | "just let Darwin take care of them"), often looks different viewed realistically (patron's polyester pants melted on her skin and caused third degree burns | there are brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, parents in a cave that must be removed).

Cheaper and easier to respond to reality than to an anecdotal knee-jerk.

I feel that if I want to die in a cave, I should be allowed to die in a cave. I can die in a shipwreck, no rules against that.

I feel that if I want to die in a cave, I should be allowed to die in a cave. I can die in a shipwreck, no rules against that.

yes, but if you choose to do that, should it allow your wife to sue the owner of the cave? because that is what has happened, is currently being dealt with in court, and is trying to be prevented by placing these rules. The other alternative is they close the caves to diving completely, which has also happened in quite a few caves that we no longer have access to. This is also part of why solo diving is forbidden in these same parks. Someone screwed up and ate it, their spouse sued the owners of the cave, and now they are just trying to protect themselves from having it happen again. Simple as that. If you want to kill yourself in a cave, spend $400 and get a cavern cert so you can take lights in, and then have something signed saying that if you die, no one can sue over your death

Agreed to both, but please sign this waiver of responsibility, and pay a "handling" fee for recovering your body (to ensure there was no "foul play").

I feel that if I want to die in a cave, I should be allowed to die in a cave.......

Hashtag.....

#ThisIsWhyWeCan'tHaveNiceThings

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom