Why are lights prohibited at some dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reku

Contributor
Reaction score
Great Lakes + Northern Florida + Marsh Harbor
# of dives
5000 - ∞
If a topic like this already exists just flame me and get it over with. :wink:

I was reading through the list of Florida state parks and I was confused when I kept seeing that lights were prohibited at some sites.

Honestly - it just seems weird to me and unsafe. 80% of my communication underwater is done with a light - even during the day (OK - with light, Emergency - with light and Attention - with light then hand signal - cover all the needs of communication.)

If the argument is that it's because the site has a cave/cavern - I believe that if someone goes in without training then they are taking their own life into their hands and whatever happens is their own fault. Other divers shouldn't be punished for the stupidity of the few. There's even a grim reaper sign/gate/whatever to give people a hint in case they didn't know it was dangerous...

If the site does not have a cave/cavern then I don't see a point in disallowing lights.

Can some enlighten me please? :confused::confused::idk::shakehead:

If you want examples of parks that exhibit the above - I'd have to go find them again.:depressed:

...Honestly - it just seems weird to me and unsafe....

You wouldn't say that if you were cave certified. Take the class and you'll understand how many things can go wrong by diving beyond your training.

You wouldn't say that if you were cave certified. Take the class and you'll understand how many things can go wrong by diving beyond your training.

Your response clearly misses the point of the question. There are many legitimate uses for a light, even on a daytime dive, many of them safety related, that have nothing to do with cave diving or cave training.

Diving with a flash light is within my training. Your point is invalid.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Cheaper to post a sign than to pay someone to pull the bodies out of the caves?

It's like diving Devil's Den without a light is a waste of time... IMHO... But, But, a$$holes got to go places they have no business going... So, NO LIGHTS FOR ANYONE.....

Jim...

So I take it night diving is also prohibited at these places? I get a laugh out of the reaction just mentioning a cave gets! The OP didn't mention one word about his going into a cave, just that maybe that's why lights are prohibited at those sites.

I agree with the OP if someone goes in a cave it's their call and risk. Don't penalize everyone because one or two people need to be Darwinized.

OP, small light in a pocket works.

From what I have seen, it is only "open water divers" that are prohibited from carrying lights. Certified cave divers are allowed to carry lights. If the non-cave trained person does not have a light, they will be less likely to enter a dark cave, that could get them killed. It used to be that all divers were required to carry lights. But that was changed because they argued that it encouraged non-cave divers to go places they should not be going. Relevant news story on the topic. :)

this is quite simply a CYOA policy for those dive sites. Not allowing lights except for cave divers removes the temptation for OW divers to "poke their head in" and helps cover them in case people decide to sue after an incident. Nothing more.

The comment about light signaling during the day is really not valid because if you need to use a light to get someones attention, then you aren't diving in a proper buddy team in that environment, so you need to adjust your diving habits. Simple as that unfortunately. One fin kick away from your buddy for touch contact, nothing more. If you are diving in true open water, lights are useless because there is nothing for them to flash against.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom