Who’s who in SCUBA DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Academy of Marine science and undersea research

The golden anniversary of SCUBA Diving

Who’s who in SCUBA DIVING

Academy of Marine science and undersea research

1993-Best Publications

Paperback 436 pages

First edition- ISBN 0-941332-28-4

Nine Sections:

1) Individuals

2) Agencies, Associations Foundations and Institutions

3) Equipment manufactures

4) Publishers and Magazines

5) Destinations and resorts

6) Travel agents- specializing in dive travel

7) Retail dive stores in US

8) Commercial divers, commercial diving schools

9) Recipients of Major awards in diving

All the sections are extremely interesting. List most of the pioneer movers and shakers of the genesis – the first 50 years of SCUBA diving

In section one: Individuals -- most have departed from the diving world or are now diving on the big reef in the sky

I did not recognize one individual listed by named (except mine & son Sam IV) from the SCUBA board—Did I over look some one? My apologies

All sections are historically interesting. So much has changed in the past almost 25 years- I now question what the next 25 years will bring?

Sam Miller III

That was published in 1993. I'll bet that Gene Tinker is in it.

Tom,
You are incorrect Gene Tinker is NOT listed !
That is a huge oversight on the author and publisher

Gene was a giant in the genesis of diving - especially on the east coast of the US. He was a frequent contributor to SDM was extremely active in the recognition of the red and white dive flag and was one of the flag's greatest promotor. It was Gene who established the flags official proportions 5 units wide , 4 units high with a one unit stripe which has been ignored even by DEMA and their video promotion of the flag,

Yesterday, I did a power point presentation to the CalPoly university SDP on the development, acceptance and use of the divers flag. Several slides were of Genes great book (which I cant recall the name) and his fantastic drawings, He was indeed diving's the best line drawing illustrator (I have a certain amount of expertise on the flag I was involved in it's development and was the "experts witness" of the first accident of a diver fling the flag who was struck by a boat in 1962)

Gene has disappeared - swallowed up in the dust of dive history,

Do you know is he still alive ? Do you happen to have his address ?

Cheers from California -

"Sam Miller III, Several slides were of Genes great book (which I cant recall the name) and his fantastic drawings

The book is "Skin Diving Made Easy by Gene Tinker" from the early 60's

@dead dog

You are so correct ! I have it been too lazy to get up cross the room and retrieve it .
I have always considered it one of the all time best over all books on diving of that era

<< FYI Bill, The current NAUI publication Sources has a full page article on Harry Vetter, your instructor and as NAUI instructor #4 the lowest number NAUI alive and at 88 years old one of the oldest >>
SAM

Back
Top Bottom