Who's interested in a NH law for lobster diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WAHOO! Udpate from House Rep Greg Hill

At this point in the game, this is the best we could have hoped for. The Consent Calendar is always passed on a voice vote (ALL THE BILLS done in one vote) so the only thing bad would be if some other rep decided to pull the bill off the consent calendar and asked that it would be opposed on the floor of the full house. Not likely, but it is still possible. Otherwise, I would say we are good to go for the Senate! It would be an EXCELLENT gesture if we could have the Diving Community send a note of thanks to the members of the Fish and Game committee and those especially on the subcommittee. They did all the heavy lifting on this one.
Greg

Here is the commentary (we call it a blurb) that accompanied the bill in the calendar written by the subcommittee chair……

HB 1455-FN, relative to special licenses for taking lobster while engaged in recreational scuba diving. OUGHT TO PASS WITH AMENDMENT.
Rep. Lyle E Bulis for Fish and Game and Marine Resources: This amended bill provides license availability to scuba divers for the taking of legally sized lobster during the month of September. A scuba licensee can not hold a recreational or commercial lobster harvesting license, nor can the holder of a commercial or recreational license also hold a scuba license. A subcommittee and the sponsor crafted the amendment in a manner that satisfied all concerns and allows scuba divers access to a state resource. Vote 12-0.

Lobster Bill has a hearing date in the Senate.... March 29th at 10:15 in Room 102 in the Legislative Office Bldg in Concord

Start educating your Senators and members of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee.

Bob Odell Chairman
John Gallus V Chairman
Jeb Bradley
Gary Lambert
Amanda Merrill

New Hampshire Senate

Just to follow up on reefseal's post.
THIS IS MAYBE OUR BEST CHANCE so we must take advantage of it. You have a week to contact the Senators (remember, go see them in person is best, then a phone call, then a personal letter, and finally an email).

Be polite, request they consider that all we want to do is have access to a natural resource the way that all the East Coast states have (except Maine) but in a very minimal way. One month per year and only 5 per day. Show the Senators you are responsible citizens and are not the type to damage the environment and can be a good resource for fisherman and lobsterman. Mention that the bill passed the Fish and Game committee after they worked hard to amend it on a bi-partisan unanimous vote and passed in the Full House on the Consent Calendar. Tell the Senators that no where has the concern been that the divers will affect the supply of lobsters. And finally, make sure you leave your name and number if they have any questions later on. That is very helpful. AND THEN CROSS YOUR FINGERS!!!

Rep Greg Hill

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Want to provide an update from today's hearing of Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
The Lobster bill was voted by entire committee inexpedient to legislate ITL. So it's going to Senate vote with Committee recommendation not to pass. Not what we had hoped for.
[/FONT]

The turnout from opposition was huge. About 10-12 commercial fisherman. Also Senator Nancy Stiles (On sea coast in support of fisherman)

From diving community, it was only myself, John Magruder and Skip Chase. This was the meeting to have had entire diving community there to be heard.

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]The opposition, case against was so strong.. Not sure all the lobbying with Senators will make a difference. [/FONT]

I can't thank Greg Hill enough for giving this a go. The fact that we got past the house was amazing.
Thank for those divers that attended the last House hearings and reached out to house reps/F&G Committee members.

Well..... I wasn't re-elected to the House but I got a call last week from a Rep who was and who worked on this bill last year with me. He asked if I would mind if I re-submitted the bill and pushed again for passage. I said GO FOR IT. So....... to all those people that said, "I wish I had known you were doing it, I would have helped!" Here is your chance. Email me here gregoryhill@myfairpoint.net and put LOBSTER in the subject line (I get 400-500 emails a day still) and I'll get you in touch with the Rep.

PLEASE spread the news...
1:00 this coming Thursday in Concord at the Legislative Office Bldg. will be the beginning of this years attempt to pass the Scuba Diving Lobster License. We need all divers that can possibly make it to come and support the Reps and Senators bringing this forth.

Here is the link to contact ALL the Committee hearing the bill....

HouseFishandGameAndMarineResources@leg.state.nh.us

Tell them you support House Bill 259.

Thanks,
Ex-Rep Greg Hill
[COLOR=#00AFFD !important] 603 286-7329[/COLOR]

---------- Post added February 5th, 2013 at 09:48 AM ----------

the difference this time is have two senators as co-sponsors and we have a whole new committee except Senator O'dell. Gegg has already spoken with the chairman Russ Prescott and gave him some idea of what happened and what to expect. Russ and Gregg developed a mutual respect on educational issues and he is a good straight shooter. We will need his help to pass this in the Senate. Senator Nancy Stiles will still be there to kill it if she can.

The bill (House Bill 259 )passed through the House Fish and Game Committee 8-6 and now it goes to the full House. IF you people want this to pass, would strongly suggest you contact (email and /or phone) as many Reps as you can and say you want them to vote in favor of diving for lobsters and give divers access to this natural resource and why. They need to hear that you are responsible people and wouldn't be inclined to steal lobsters from traps or destroy the ecosystem. Both these ideas were put into the heads of those that heard testimony from lobsterman and the fish and game conservation officers.

Here is the link to find the contact information for specific reps......
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]NH House of Representatives[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

Here is the link to send to ALL House Reps at one time......
HReps@leg.state.nh.us

The vote will be next THURSDAY in the full house. Contact your Representatives and tell them to vote YES (GREEN BUTTON) OUGHT TO PASS on House Bill 259 for this 2 year pilot program to collect data.

Here is the blurb in the House calendar that will be what the Reps see when they get in the Hall to vote.

HB 259-FN, relative to special licenses for taking lobster while engaged in recreational scuba diving. OUGHT TO PASS WITH AMENDMENT.
Rep. John A Burt for Fish and Game and Marine Resources: This same bill passed the committee last year unanimously and passed the House on the consent calendar before heading to the Senate. This bill provides license availability, on a 2 year pilot program basis, to certified scuba divers for the taking of legally-sized lobster during the month of September only. The majority of the committee felt that all residents, including divers, should have access to a state resource. The pilot program will allow data to be collected that will prove invaluable to conservation in managing this resource. No testimony was heard that indicated that the diver’s limited access would affect the lobster population density in a recognizable fashion. If passed, we would join every other state on the east Coast (except Maine) to allow scuba diving for lobster. Vote 8-6.

Here is the link to send to ALL House Reps at one time...... HReps@leg.state.nh.us

The lobster bill passed the house 303-66. On to the senate!!

I don't live in NH, but I know how diificult it is over coming any commercial interest in a state legislature, especially commercial fishing. The commercial fishing guys are always a well organized group. Hats off to the divers doing the leg work on this issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom