Who's Diving where on New Years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver once bubbled...
[BGonna be three of us heading out from the Beaumont area to make the CSSP Polar Bear dive tomorrow.

Happy New Year everyone! [/B]

In the true spirit of a Polar Bear Dive. Our dive in the St. Lawrence River went great we had 12 people. We had no free-flows for anyone in the group. Five of us in the group dove wet with the remainder diving in Dry Suits.

My bottom time was approx 21 min ( feet & hands started getting cold) and max depth was 38ft. Not bad for my 7mm suit & 3mm vest. Water Temp a toasty 33F!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

well even though it wasnt new years on the 29th i did about a 30 min dive while being a lifeguard for a polar bear dive at Cherokee scout ranch in athens TX, the water was about 48 degrees, but i came through with out shaking at all. and after everyone was done i came out of the water, and was given the award for the head polar bear for the camp, and that then when i turned red. after the polarbear swim was over i got back in and swam back to my cabin and changed cloths and went to breakfast.

BTW the event was Circle ten Council's OA Winter Camp

the only problems the kids had that participated was that some of them ended up getting hypothermia because they were alittle on the light side and all there body heat got zapped when they jumped off the dive.

Back safe and sound from my first polar bear dive. We had a good time, logged about 45 minutes of actual bottom time with a water temp of 45 degrees. Max depth was 48 feet. I was trying out a borrowed drysuit, so the dive wasnt as smooth as I would have liked. Lots of adjusting to do. Poseiden met up with us and dove til he ran low on air, but he started with only about 1600 psi.

I finally called the dive because I was losing all feeling in my fingers. Didnt wanna hafta drive 5 hours back home with frostbite!

All in all it went well and we had fun. Hope everyone else had a great new years day also.

Diving with CaveDiver and his friends yesterday was a blast! They are great people, and very enthusiastic divers. Vis wasn't great, but I'm used to that. :rolleyes: Like CaveDiver said the water was cold, and of course I forgot my gloves. And I was having a hard time with bouyancy because of my inexperience with a drysuit.

Highlights of the day were:
1. Getting to try out drysuit diving.
2. Seeing divers with scooters.
3. Seeing some crazy old guy dive the 50 foot waters wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and a hood.
4. Getting to hang out with a bunch of good people.

All in all it was a great time, and I'm looking forward to meeting more Texas divers in the future.

:)

Poseidon once bubbled...
Like CaveDiver said the water was cold, and of course I forgot my gloves.

I ALMOST forgot my hood. I dont know how you hung in as long as you did with no gloves, even tho the ones I had on didnt seem to help much.

Was great to meet you also. It's cool getting to know the other swampers on the board and I look forward to meeting more of you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom