Who wants to move to Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Also..less emphasis on materialism is a refreshing change. Maybe because people can afford less? maybe that is a good thing.
I agree, having moved from SoCal recently. The ego level experienced most any day on the freeways in SoCal is incredible. It just does not happen here, or I have yet to see it. Sure, there are BMWs and M-B here, but the drivers are not @ssholes like 90% of them are in SoCal. The "me first" attitude is non-existant, and most pleasant that is.

I am betting that you both "have what it takes".

yes, I have a love hate thing with SoCal. I miss it, but I needed to come here. (kicking and screaming, actually)

I broke my Nordstrom's habit...I was a compulsive shopper to a degree. I have not been to Ala Moana mall in three years or so....I wear clothes from Costco, and nobody seems to notice the difference! Feel kinda stupid about the King's ransom I wasted the 15 years in SoCal.

Materialism and keeping up with the Jone's might have been the main factor at breaking up my marriage. We were both chronically dissatisfied and "never had enough". Orange County might take the cake on that affliction.

Lopaka:
The "me first" attitude is non-existant.....

Give it some time...you'll experience it (not only with delux cars) ....after they do it they'll just flash you the shaka to make it all good again :D

I'm a rent it and leave it kind of guy.

Settle somewhere in the lower 48. Once things are OK, arrange for unpaid leave of absences for a couple of months each year. Then go and stay a few months - job then isn't an issue and you can see if you like living there.

London, England
Southern France
Bonaire
- -- you get the picture.

justleesa:
Give it some time...you'll experience it
Ah, after a lifetime driving around them, I see them coming and decide whether to close the gap before they get the chance, if I sense that sort of driver. And I doubt I will ever see here the last thing that almost got me arrested for assault: standing in line for your car from the valet parking, and having a twit slither in front of you when he thinks you are not looking!

Getting a shaka or wave when letting someone into the traffic lane is almost universal here, and lends to the willingness to be far more generous than SoCal. Still adjusting............

Lopaka:
Getting a shaka or wave when letting someone into the traffic lane is almost universal here, and lends to the willingness to be far more generous than SoCal. Still adjusting............

The shaka or wave when someone lets you in or when you merge is being polite.

The shaka or wave done in conjunction with some guy in a huge raised pickup or SUV as they force their way in front of you is basically the "I'm getting in front of you whether you like it or not and this wave/shaka is just a fakeout so you're not as ticked off that I'm doing it". You usually see this move during rush hour while driving west.

yup, what chepar says...just head for the McCully/Beretania crossing at rush hour, it's classic.

the Traffic is not as bad as people make it out to be. The one thing that cracks me up though is how many people want to drive 35MPH on the freeway, when there is no traffic.

the shaka fresh off the plane from LA isn't always the best plan..

I drove the wrong way in the zip lane on Kalianeole right after I moved here, when they claim the lane for the opposite direction with a few orange cones. (ya coulda told me) Yikes, nobody even honked at me..they all just stopped and waited for me to turn around.

I don't think they are the best drivers, but they are usually very forgiving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom