Who wants to move to Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, if your financial situation is not going to be a problem and the slow island lifestyle is a good match for your tastes, then Hawaii can truly be paradise (even Oahu).

I was born and raised on Oahu, and was dying to get away because of sheer boredom. Now that I've been away for 10 years, I think I could happily live there again... if it weren't for the lack of good jobs and high cost of living. Unemployment is fairly low, but I know a lot of people back home who work two or three jobs just to make ends meet, and just barely. Struggling like that is not something I want to do.

I still wave when someone lets me into the next lane while driving in Hawaii, but I felt that people do this less and less these days. But compared to traffic in Tokyo, I prefer driving in Hawaii any day!

I might just be a few years away. I keep thinking about it. Could probably afford it. Just waiting for the kids to finish school.

It looks as if I am going to be transferred to Kauai within the next month or so. I will be working in the Poipu Bay area.

I should only be there for 1 to 1 1/2 years so probably won't be in the market to buy, but would like a 1 or 2 bedroom place to rest my head.

If anybody has any ideas or leads could you please PM me? Would appreciate any help.

Aloha

I moved to Maui 22 years ago and have logged thousands of dives. It never gets boring. There is always some thing cool hidden in the sand, and you can never tell when something big will come out of the blue. It does get frustraiting seeing the effects of run off, alge blooms, tumors on our turtles, bleached coral, poor anchoring and mooring, and divers with bad bouyancy. Still, it is better than living anywhere else, and I look forward to the next dive with anticipation and wonder.

The diving in Maui is very good. It is close to Molokini and Lanai and that opens up more possibilities. There are countless shore dives and boat dives to choose from. Kauai is a bit more rugged, but has a few good dives, and is the best way to get to dive Lehui rock near Niihau. The big island is as good or slightly better than Maui. It has steeper drop offs, and closer access to deep water. When the currents run nutriunts flow and its possible to see all kinds of things swim by. I have seen oceanic white tip sharks and pilot whales just a few miles off shore. Oahu has a few good dives, but I think the other islands are a bit better.

My next dive will be next week and I cant wait!

Maui Finn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom