Who wants to dive the Gulf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What type of gun do you folks recommend for a beginning spear fisher? I have a pole spear (kind of unusual one with a trigger grip) that is good for flounder, but want to get me a spear gun and start using it this year. Any recommendations welcomed.

Mike

PS My girlfriend tried to get her cert. last year and could never get her ears to clear. Could she still come along on some trips. She is a great boat and water person.

algulfdiver:
Tom, I hope those spots are not like the ones You were telling Me about a while back. LOL.....LOL....LOL :)

These are a couple of rocks out towards the Trysler Grounds a mutual friend of ours was telling me about. Some large rock piles. The best one is suppose to be 29.97112 87.39155 if you need the datum changed 29'58'15.93 N 87'23'31.75 will get you close (conversion ) You may have seen the conversation between us on Spearboard about the hogfish? I bought a gun from him and he told me where I might use it. If you still have those numbers check out the third one down on the list. Remember the chicken coop me and you dropped down on? There are two of them about ten feet apart with onion sacks tied to blocks all around them I never seen nothing like it.DJ and Fritz has the spots highlighted Trysler/GOOD FISH Capt. Ron seems to favor this area also it’s full of rock piles and what is known as Rock/Reef

Get you some trips going and I'll sure enough join you on some of them.:mooner: I have took on some new work and am seriously thinking about one of those dive Rites you were putting together

Port Tack:
What type of gun do you folks recommend for a beginning spear fisher? I have a pole spear (kind of unusual one with a trigger grip) that is good for flounder, but want to get me a spear gun and start using it this year. Any recommendations welcomed.

Mike

PS My girlfriend tried to get her cert. last year and could never get her ears to clear. Could she still come along on some trips. She is a great boat and water person.

Mike you asked a million dollar question there it is hard to pick a gun for another. There are several factors involved on deciding a gun. One is the cost factor another is what you will be fishing for and the type fishing environment your in. Also I really hate to admit this part but as we grow older the band pull needs to be considered. Gary and Chas up you way haves several guns in stock but carry different brands which each is considered a well made gun. I have two riffes and a Rhino one of Gary’s guns and not just because he’s here on the board I carry the Rhino more often that a cheap short JBL when I’m diving the Jetties . I’m late for work right now but if I can help you more just drop me a line I do have to run

I've got a 54" ABBiller that I've enjoyed using in deeper water(even shallower water at times). Its the only gun I've used UW, so I can't really compare it with others. I have a few friends who shoot with JBL guns with much luck.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with anything available locally. I'd just recommend getting something 48" or larger if you want to take sizable fish.

Thanks for the advice. It will be a 48". This gives me another good excuse to go to the dive shop. How did you guys start spear fishing? Did you take a class or just find some patient buddies? Thanks

Mike

My first dive out of OW, I took and lost a polespear :) My second dive out of OW I took another new polespear and took my first flounder. I should have waited to get more comfortable UW... too much to handle at once really. I enjoyed the fish though! :D

I asked the shop owner for advise before getting into using a gun, by this time I was already comfortable in my gear and underwater. Once I had the setup suggested, I went down and started shooting fish - LOL.

seadoggirl:
Anybody needs the rates for a charter let Captain Rusty know. The spots will fill up quickly starting March 1st, so book now. I got in 100 dives last year and tons of them were on this boat. Let's have some fun and get a whole boat of SB members going. This 75 degree weather is getting me in a frisky mood.... to dive!

Is Rusty going to tell us a little about his boat? I sure would be interested about his charters. Little things such as where he likes to go, average starting time, dose he run on Sundays? Is his dives bounce dives or dose he drop a line other than a marker? Is it bring your own sodas or dose he have drinks available. And one more thing one of my buddies has a girlfriend that usually goes with us dose he take out none divers?

Its a 6-pack cuddy cabin boat, setup nicely for diving - has the typical 6-pack stuff(marine head, tank racks, ample seating, food ice-chests and a larger one for game, ect). He goes wherever, depending on the length of the trip you signed up for - I've never dived the same set of spots while diving with him. He runs on weekends and start time depends on length of trip. He typically has a few beverages(bottled water and...other, usually a melon or two as well). He'll take non-divers, but there is still probably a small fee(you'll have to verify that with him).

It sure would be nice to find a boat that ran late morning. Tiff the girl that I was asking about as a bubble watcher she doesn't trust her old man to ride out to the store with me. Late summer we got him certified over at MBT and the first night she even set out in the truck to wait on us. How long has he been running out of Orange beach? somehow his boat is slipping my mind. Was he the Boat that use to run for Pleasure Island a few years ago? well more than a few now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom