Who uses DAN tags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveassure sends the tag(s) to you when you're covered by their insurance..

DAN tags are sold seperatly..you can purchase these anytime without the benefit of insurance..

Does the Diveassure tag come with the purchase of insurance from them? Does the DAN tag come with a membership purchase?

DiveAssure sends you a letter that you purchased their insurance. They also send you two cards (per person covered). These are credit-card type cards with your information on it (name, insurance number, insurance plan type, phone number). One of the cards has a cut-out portion so you can attach this to something. For mine I use two zip ties on my BC.

I am assuming the letter is the "purchase of insurance" you are asking about.

The military uses ID tags with neck chains for a good reason. Take a look at what is on the DAN ID tag and imagine how helpful that information would be to you, if you were the doctor in the ER as the unconscious diver's body is rolled up to you.

I've personally been involved in several helocopter diver airlifts. My exerience is that the ONLY thing that goes with the unconscious diver to the hospital is what's on his body, as the diver is immediately cut out of his wet or dry suit (and no one ever goes thru the pockets). So, any kind of identification and medical information that is attached to the body is a thousand times better than something that is not attached to it. The DAN dog tags on a neck chain work for that reason.

Even conscious divers often may not have their witts about them, so they may be unable to talk intelligently to the emergency rescuers. I've seen that happen with one rescue where a trained air force pilot who was so confused that he had trouble remembering his own name. I showed up a couple of hours later and the hospital didn't have any of his medical data, his insurance numbers, etc.

Even if alert few of us have our medical information in our heads. I've even seen one rescue where the diver was cut out of his gear and even carried his wallet with him, only to have it lost before he got to the chamber in one hospital.

An ID around the neck is respected, left on the neck, and given top priority by rescue personnel - so it carries the message from the dives site, to the amublance, to the helocopter, to the gurney to the hospital, to the person processing the paperwork, thru the ER, to the chamber, etc. At least that's been my observation.

Sorry to say this, but having ID on the body also makes it easier for body ID for a found dead diver. I know that when I take a solo diving trip the first thing on my check off list is my neck ID tag for that reason. (I also leave my dive plan on my dashboard).

BTW: Most divers I know take a marker and print their names on their tanks. I also put a dab of red paint on every piece of gear I own so that when fins are in a pile on the dive boat, for example, mine stand out. Over time everyone I dive with know what's their's and what's mine.

If you are going to dive you have to look out for yourself, and a neck ID helps as it is helps those trying to help you.

If you are going to dive you have to look out for yourself, and a neck ID helps as it is helps those trying to help you.

What do you (and everyone else) find as the most important info to have on a diver? The DAN dog tag only has the divers name, DAN's phone number, and the divers DAN account number IIRC.

I have been wondering what other kind of info I should engrave on the back of the tag.

dogtag_cat.jpg

Last edited:
I use the gear tags on my more expensive equipment in case their is a debate about who's stuff belongs to who on the boat.

What do you (and everyone else) find as the most important info to have on a diver? The DAN dog tag only has the divers name, DAN's phone number, and the divers DAN account number IIRC.

I'm looking at mine and this is the information on it:

SSN (Didn't provide)
Date of Birth
Blood Type
Allergies to Drugs/Medications
Personal or Primary Car Physician Name
Physician's Phone Numbers (Days + Evenings)
Emergency Contact Name & Relationship
Phone Numbers (Days + Evenings)
Heath Insurance Carrier + Number

I've had this tag for a number of years so the format may have changed. But I did go on the DAN website and it appears that the tags provide basically the same information. You can also take a fine line permanent marker and add any additional information you would like.

Ops - just turned it over and it has my full name, DAN # and the DAN hotline number on the other side.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, when talking about a "DAN Tag", you must be careful to distinguish between the DAN Tag Plus, which has fairly extensive personal and medical info on it, and the DAN Gear Tag, which is just a personalized name & phone number ID tag for your stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom