Who to do IDC with on Ultila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta Man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
Just looking for some advice on who to my IDC with on Utila. Planning to do it in Aug this year and was wondering/looking for any recommendations who to or even who not to do it with.

Thanks

I did my IDC @ UDC with Suzy Phipps. I can say they run a very nice operation there. UDC is by far the biggest and most important IDC center in the bay islands. You can´t go wrong with them. They few quirks they sometimes have, can be easily solved since they run a smooth operation with a lot of go to people in case you need additional help on anything.

For my money, I would go back to Utila Dive Center myself in a heartbeat! Not only do they run a fantastic operation there, there is "after care" that is second to none by their course director and staff instructors. Every penny I spent there was worth it: while I can't speak for other operations anywhere else in the world, I know I got more out of my time there than I did anywhere else along my diving career, either as a diver, or a professional.

Talk to Any Phillips there - from the very first conversation I had with him (at his expense, I might add), I knew my choice had been made, and I have absolutely no regrets. None.

i agree udc and andy phillips run a tight ship, i've taken several courses there over the years and travelled to the galapagos with andy. if you're looking for smaller but just as professional, check out deep blue divers.

I did my Rescue with UDC in 2008 (I think?), I did my Divemaster with Deep Blue Divers in 2011, and I did my IDC with Coral View in December of 2011.

I'd consider that a rather broad experience on Utila as most divers pick a shop and stay at it.

Every shop "feels" different. It either fits your style, or it doesn't.

But in the end, the major difference is the instructor who you will learn from. One thing I can tell you about any instructor on Utila is that they will follow the PADI system to the letter. So in essence, what you learn will be exactly the same. When the IE came around, "the other guys" did their skills exactly the same as I was taught. What changes is the personality of your instructor. No one on any internet forum can ever tell you which personality best fits you. Only you can decide this. Upon arriving on Utila you could effectively interview each Course Director within a day or two, assuming pre-arranged appointments. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe there are no less than 5 CD's living here fulltime and at least one more that travels here for IDC's. I also think there will be at least one more by the time you plan to arrive whom is already living here fulltime. Plus take the time to walk the shops, see how they operate, "feel" the vibe. On that same token, I'd be hesitant to pay any shop a deposit on classes before getting to Utila - especially non-refundable deposits. What happens if you arrive and don't mesh with your instructor?

HTH

Hi all, & sorry for the late response. Thx very much. Igot in touch with UDC & Andy sent a 5 page email not really addressing anyof the questions I had to ask but giving me additional links to the web pagewhere pretty much the same info was regurgitated. Deep Blue on the other handwhere pretty clear & concise about what the course actually entails &the prices etc, all neatly ordered into tables, the other I am still trying tofigure out the costs!!! So, those are myfirst impressions. As for Coral View how did you find them? And has anyone done their IDC or even a DM courseat Deep Blue & could give me an opinion?
As for going to have a chat I thought that would be abrilliant idea. The only prob is that I’ll be doing the IDC in the height ofsummer, really busy out there I guess. And I’d only get to Utila about 5 daysbefore the course starts, so not sure if that’s risking not even getting a placeon the course, well 2 places actually as my partner is doing it too. Imaginedoing all that studying and then later finding out when you get there thatthere are no places left???!!!

Hi all,
Just looking for some advice on who to my IDC with on Utila. Planning to do it in Aug this year and was wondering/looking for any recommendations who to or even who not to do it with.

Thanks

Manta,

Most of the course directors on Utila are my friends. and has been said elsewhere in this post, you can not go wrong with any of them. But each of them have their own personalities. I would suggest.....if you had a few days to spare after arriving on the island take a nice walkabout and meet all of them both in the shops (and maybe in the bars) Anyway, they are probably the best bunch of divers I know any place on the planet!!! Have a great IDC!!!

PS.........Sloeber above also suggested a walkabout. Serious doubtful if there would not be room for two more in IDC/IE.

Agree with Cuda. There is always room for another 2 students with cash in hand. The slower shops usually only have 2-4 students per IDC, so plenty of room available and direct hands-on education. I could be mistaken, but I think the busier shop can simply add assistants as needed if the two of you puts them over their maximum instructor:student ratio.

I did my IDC with Utila Dive Center with Suzy Phipps. By far the best money I've spent. There are a lot of options out there, but email Andy Phillips who'll get back to you with all the information you'll need. If I could do it again, I would definitely do it with UDC. They are the best in Utila, Central America, nah...in the industry!

Back
Top Bottom