Who to dive with in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it was our second attempt to dive at Point Lobos (near Carmel, CA) on July 2 and we again were thwarted by the low vis (5-10 feet) and cooler temp (59 surface, 56 @ 20').

We did a night dive on July 1 @ Breakwater and had vis around 10-15 feet at the beginning of the dive (8 pm) and ended up around 10' vis (8:45). Saw lotsa sand dollars and eel grass, some anenomes, a few fish, lots fishhead skeletons (looked like a dumping ground), and my husband saw an octopus -- but it left before he got my attention.

We had a white seal diving with us for about 5 minutes. It chewed my fins ... at one point, I thought I was caught in kelp and looked back to see this creature enjoying a knosh.

Oh well, another time ...

I recommend Dolphin. If you can, I'd also suggest you try to get in a class with Lance Jackson. He can be a tough instructor, but also explains the "why," is very thorough, and willing to work with you if you show the effort.

Dolphin is on El Camino off Business 80 ... and if you're further out, you may want to try Nautilus out in Rocklin. I can't remember the owner's name, but he is very nice and extremely helpful (we rented gear from him back before we bought our own). Those are the only two shops I've got any experience with -- Mother Lode/Atlantis Dive Shop closed recently (they used to be downtown on H Street).

Don't hesitate to ask more questions ... happy to help out.

I have visited Jeff at Nautilus and he is a real nice guy. I have also been to Scuba World and they seem to be real good. I have been thinking of going through Dolphin though, because they have a discount right now on their aow class for $290.00; plus it includes a nitrox class and four specialties. It seemed like a good deal to me, and they are very nice to. I just wanted to find a good shop that I could kind of be loyal to instead of bouncing around to much. Thanks for the info.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom