Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • No, and I try to avoid restaurants that serve it

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark fin soup used to be one of my favorite Chinese dishes, but I never heard that they were considered an aphrodisiac.

I stopped eating it several years ago after seeing a documentary film showing sharks thrown back alive in the water with their fins hacked off.
Although I sometimes miss sharkfin soup, I would never order it if given a choice. I also try to educate people on that practice whenever possible, and suffice to say most people stop eating it too.

Never had it, never will. As most of us know, sharks are in far greater danger from humans, than humans are from sharks.

Bob

I have to admit that I have had shark fin soup. In fact more of you have probably eaten then you think since it's used as a thickener in different soups whether it's labeled 'shark fin' or not.

Let me also state that I'm opposed to the wanton slaughter of sharks for their fins (before I get tarred and feathered)..

But I've probably had more veal then I have shark fin...
I did a quick google seach and found the following:
--------------
Veal calves are a by-product of the dairy industry; they are "manufactured" by "milk machines" - dairy cows. Female calves are raised to be dairy cows: They are confined and fed synthetic hormones to increase growth and production and antibiotics to keep them alive in their unhealthy, unnatural environments. They are artificially inseminated and, after giving birth, are milked for several years until their production levels drop, then they are slaughtered.
Male calves are taken from their mothers shortly after birth. Some are slaughtered soon after birth for "bob veal." Others are raised in "open pens," a kind of minimum security prison, and even then they are sometimes chained. Most are destined for the veal crate.

About 14 weeks after their birth, the calves are slaughtered. The quality of this "food," laden with chemicals, lacking in fiber and other nutrients, diseased and processed, is another matter. The real issue is the calves' experience. During their brief lives, they never see the sun or touch the Earth. They never see or taste the grass. Their anemic bodies crave proper sustenance. Their muscles ache for freedom and exercise. They long for maternal care. They are kept in darkness except to be fed two to three times a day for 20 minutes. The calves have committed no crime, yet have been sentenced to a fate comparable to any **** concentration camp.
-----------
And if you've ever been to a chicken farm . . .

Unless of course we're willing to draw a line between 'farm' animals and wild ones..

Alex

OK how can you compare Chickens and cows to sharks?
Chickens, Cows and the like are hardly an endangered species...and they are breed for eating and I am all for that cause I love a rare piece of steak on the BBQ.

Sharks on the other hand are an endangered species not breed to be eaten, but taken in a most horrific way from the sea. :upset:

you cant compare the two !!!

This is ScubaBoard, not PETABoard.

*Everything* humans consume is either mined or farmed. It's that simple. Air, and water you catch off your own roof, is about the only exception.

I was watching TV the other day, and this woman was complaining "on-site" about an open cut mine in Western Australia, and how it was criminal how it was destroying the environment. Her gold ring, neck chain and earrings she was wearing probably came from that mine.

Just do your best to avoid the really bad stuff - add veal to the list if you please. I'm pretty sure there's no calves running around out there that have had their tongues cut out and then been released.

I grew up on a beef farm - I know where your meat comes from.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
This is ScubaBoard, not PETABoard.

*Everything* humans consume is either mined or farmed. It's that simple. Air, and water you catch off your own roof, is about the only exception.

Australia is one of (if not the) biggest farming and mining nations, however it is always one of the first nations to support protection for endangered species.

The two issues are very seperate,
If you agree with the way Chicken is farmed then become a vegitarian. End of story.

However, when you support the culling of something that may become endangered or extinct you are affecting everyone on the planet now and far into the future.

I dont see how anyone has the right to be so selfish.

DeepSeaFox once bubbled...
However, when you support the culling of something that may become endangered or extinct you are affecting everyone on the planet now and far into the future.

I dont see how anyone has the right to be so selfish.
I'm sorry my post wasn't clear enough - I do *not* support shark finning, or any other consumption of sharks, apart from bycatch, where the animal might as well be utilised.

I was referring to the sob story posted about vealers being chained and longing for maternal care. Emotional words like "slaughtered", how they never taste the grass, etc.

Comparing vealer calves to shark finning is BS.

FossilFinder once bubbled...

-----------
And if you've ever been to a chicken farm . . .

Alex

You can buy organically raised, free range chicken for a slightly higher price than you would normally pay. Besides being more humane for the animals, it's less fatty, tastes better, and doesn't have all the antibiotics and hormones in it.

Better for the chicken......better for you.

BTW, your whole comparison seems based on the assumption that everyone who dislikes shark finning eats veal twice a week.

I wouldn't touch either..........

Scott

When did you quit beating your wife?

There is no way to answer the question because I've never had it, never will.

DennisW once bubbled...
When did you quit beating your wife?

There is no way to answer the question because I've never had it, never will.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong in this but until at least the '80s or early '90's I dont remember any stigma relating to eating shark fin.

It was a standard Chinese dish and at that time noone that I know knew of anything negative about it.

Perhaps they were slaughtered in the same barbaric way but it was not publicly known, nor was there any attention to sharks as an endangered species.

I think you need to go back a little longer than that for it to be considered OK to beat your wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom