who sells scout lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
I am looking for a back up can someone point me toward a source or two?

jonnythan:
www.fifthd.com
www.extreme-exposure.com
www.dir-supply.com

Also check out the Photon Torpedo from www.dinplugs.com .. lots of people seem to prefer it.

I've beat on the Scout light for years. Its not a bad light, just (IMO) overrated.

I ordered a Photon Torpedo. It came in a couple of weeks ago. Side by side, it killed the Scout. I replaced the batts in the Scout (get this: the PT comes with Batts installed...) and it still killed it.

The PT is an excellent product.

---
Ken

Killed it in what way?

Thanks,

Mark

Mo2vation:
I've beat on the Scout light for years. Its not a bad light, just (IMO) overrated.

I ordered a Photon Torpedo. It came in a couple of weeks ago. Side by side, it killed the Scout. I replaced the batts in the Scout (get this: the PT comes with Batts installed...) and it still killed it.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:

---
Ken

What are batts? Never mind.

mweitz:
Killed it in what way?

Thanks,

Mark

It was smoooov. Turned on and off much easier. It was way brighter and better concentrated. Its larger in Diameter so for me, it was easier to hold and turn on and off.

Of course, I have a few hundred dives on my overrated Scout - so we're not talking apples to apples here.

But we're not talking apples to carrots, either.

Put it this way - wifie got the Scout. I commendeered the PT.

---
Ken

Ah.

Of course, the Scout was designed to get folks out of caves when their primary lights failed, so they don't push the bulb. I used mine for the first time last week when my primary HID wouldn't fire. The scout worked pretty darn well, but we were at 100' - 80' and it was fairly dark. I would bet that it sucks in shallow clear water. Any of the cheap backup lights like the 40.00 UK ones are much brighter. I would venture to say that you really don't need a Scout light out here .... since it is rare that we have to have a light to safely get home ...

Mark

The Scout and the PT are identical - both use the same bulb and assembly, so any allegations of overdriving the bulb are moot. The PT 'should' have the same "I absolutely need this light to turn on now" reliability, and arguably even more since it uses a double O-Ring seal, not just one.

Furthermore, it has a definite on/off point, making you less likely to back it off too far and risk flooding it. I love my PT's.

Time will tell on the reliability issue, but I've seen several reports of people taking them on 400' dives without issue.

I ordered a PT too. Looking forward to it showing up. Hopefully over time it will prove to be a durable as the "overrated" scouts.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom