Who said no big animals in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is Red Beryl up near White Slave?

Yes, it is a little further south than White Slave, it is one site north of Atlantis, where the kite boarders are...

Yes, Blackrock was nice enough to post his Manta video on the "Manta sightings thread" (don't know how to put link here, anyone like to tell me how?) He was at the bottom of 1,000 steps reef. Be sure to watch the whole video, you'll be confused for about the first 30 seconds :)

seaducer, how was the current at Red Beryl? I haven't dove quite that far south and was just curious as what to expect on the average day there. Sweet pics of the dolphins. There's a nice video on youtube of a diver spending several minutes with a very large pod. I asked but forget which site (maybe Invisibles?). He said it was in the middle of December (good dolphin time), too bad I'll be there in June.

There was a noticeable current at the drop off going south. Like most of the sites as you descended the current slacked off to, I don't know, 3 feet every 10 minutes? But in about 30 feet it was definitely noticeable, although far from unmanageable.

If you have ever dove Eden Beach, about half that.

This was the first year I ever really looked around alot. I was not noticing as much macro life this year, it seems I have lost my mojo. But the dolphins made up for it, that is for sure!

We saw dolphins on the surface last week on our way to the Hilma Hooker ... but unfortunately didn't see them once we descended.

Another fellow who had been diving up north in the park reported seeing a hammerhead shark.

The biggest critter I personally spotted was a grouper that was easily as big as me at 1000 Steps ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We saw Golly the Goliath Grouper a few times at Knife and a Manta at La Machaca, Nurse Shark at Carls Hill and Black Tip Sharks at Forest and at Bloodlet. The funniest sighting was at Barcadera at the end of our dive in the shallows with two female snorkellers, I thought that girl is wearing a weird swim suit, check no she aint wearing a swimsuit at all. I had my camera DSLR with wide angle and being a gentleman did not take a picture. I got told off by my wife and the female DM for not taking the shots. Women!

We saw Golly the Goliath Grouper a few times at Knife and a Manta at La Machaca, Nurse Shark at Carls Hill and Black Tip Sharks at Forest and at Bloodlet. The funniest sighting was at Barcadera at the end of our dive in the shallows with two female snorkellers, I thought that girl is wearing a weird swim suit, check no she aint wearing a swimsuit at all. I had my camera DSLR with wide angle and being a gentleman did not take a picture. I got told off by my wife and the female DM for not taking the shots. Women!

LMAO I think the best part is you got yelled at for not talking a pic you know that you would have gotten scolded if you did take the picture. It is a no win.

We saw Golly the Goliath Grouper a few times at Knife and a Manta at La Machaca, Nurse Shark at Carls Hill and Black Tip Sharks at Forest and at Bloodlet.

Wow, I'm jealous. I saw a Goliath Grouper at Sharon's Serenity last year. But the 2 shark sightings beat that hands down. I want to dive with you next time I go. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom