Who Makes the Best 18 Watt HID for the Money?

Who makes the best 18 Watt HID Lighting System

• Sartek

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Dive Rite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halcyon/Extreme Exposure

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Stealth Dive

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to hear who, why, what's your experience, maximum burn time, canister size, durability of the lighthead assembly and canister, best features?

Sartek's HID systems seems pretty awesome, looks like they have some unique features that the other manufacturers don't have, like Acrylic Canister, Wet connector. Just looks like a solid looking setup. I don't know how long they been doing this compared to the other guys, but their stuff looks of high quality?

Acrylic isn't unique to cannister making. Actually its just the opposite the manufactures of lights used this material in the past and found it to be not as durable of a plastic compared to Delrin or PVC. By the way I think Sartek's canisters are made from PVC and acrylic. If you write to Dan at Stealthdive he will give you some info on a new canister he's building which will be able to utilize a existing Stealth canister light from its original 9-10 cell canister to a 20 cell canister for longer burn times with 18watt lights or real long burn times with the 10watt.

I'm sure Sarteks canisters are of good quality but writing this with out looking at their web page a couple things comes to mind.
1st. They use screw on lids which floods easier if used around sandy areas. Sand gets into the threads. Actually think they make the latching system now as an option.
2nd. Dont like the idea of running the cord at a 90 degree angle out of the canister. Dont know why but just dont see a reason for it.
3rd. PVC, Acrylic, would rather have Delrin which is a better material.

4th. They dont have switch guard protectors which I think is mandatory when using HID's. You dont want your HID to be accidently switched off because it will not turn right back on and trying to do so from what I understand is not good for the ballast.

Guess the only reason that would stop me from purchasing one would be if it had a screw on top or no switch guard. The switch guard could be put on I imagine with out much difficulty. Wouldnt want a acrylic housing either.

The Halcyon 18w HIDs ballast is positioned so it is more streamlined when using a Goodman handle. I think they(Sartek & Halcyon) both use the same components(ballast & bulb) and the same test tube/bulb design. Personally, I think an acrylic battery housing is more fragile than the delrin version.

The wet connector is not a real good idea for HIDs, it can cause fluctuations in supplied voltage to the head, which will shut down an HID light. Carrying another head doesn't help if you have a problem with the battery.

I have the Halcyon Helios 9/18w HID, I like it, it's bright, with a big pool of light, compared to the new style 10w HIDs tight spot.

They are expensive, and they are fragile, but still, one of the best diving investments you can make,IMO.

Back
Top Bottom