Who makes custom neoprene drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henderson makes custom Thermoprene suits. I just had one made for a dwarf diver.

Wetsuit was a perfect fit but expensive.

Wetwear Custom Wetsuits – When Only The Best Will Do! Expensive, but completely custom. My wife has one, perfect fit. It takes a LOT of measurements.

Don't believe their sales shpeal about how their neoprene is somehow better than other neoprene. I'd say it's about the same as every other neoprene I've used. Well, based on her comments anyway.

The slanted back zip isn't too bad. Not as good as a real front zip suit, but better than a standard back-zip. The "ez-on" zippers on the arms and legs are awesome.

And you guys are sure you are talking about drysuits and not wetsuits?

My wife got an OThree suit. It's completely made-to-measure and fits her like a glove. The service from the OThree crew was spectacular, and I can't recommend them enough.

@CAPTAIN SINBAD .....I'm curious what you meant by "if you get the fit right." I know several people that have gotten OThree suits, fully-custom and perfect fit.

Otter makes custom sized neoprene drysuits. Shoot me a PM I'll get you all the details and whatnot.

My wife got an OThree suit. It's completely made-to-measure and fits her like a glove. The service from the OThree crew was spectacular, and I can't recommend them enough.

@CAPTAIN SINBAD .....I'm curious what you meant by "if you get the fit right." I know several people that have gotten OThree suits, fully-custom and perfect fit.

In my case, they concluded that my measurements were so close to one of their custom sizes that modified stock size will be as good as custom. It turned out to be a very bad idea for which I paid the price. Their Ri-2100 has very hard neoprene that does not stretch much so if it is tight then you are very constricted. When the suit came it was a bit tight without the undergarments. When the drysuit season came, I tried on with the undergarments and I could barely zip myself. I contacted them and cost of sending the suit back and getting it refitted for a price and then getting it back to USA was the same price as getting a new suit from them. I ended up selling my new poorly fitted new suit on E-bay at a huge loss and decided not to deal with O'three.

I am not blaming them and if they were based in USA, I would love to deal with them all over again. Being in UK means that if the suit has to be send to them for modifications, it costs an arm and a leg so they better get the fit right the first time or you pay the price of a much higher end suit. I have a 36 inch waist and 47 inch chest so anything that will fit my waist will be very tight on the upper body so custom fitting me properly is not as easy as most people. Things do get sent back a few times before they fit me right.

Great company that makes great suits and will be a good choice for 99% of folks but I am unfortunately in the 1%.

I do not mean crushed neoprene that Bare and DUI make. I am talking about simple neoprene like Seasoft etc.
Their Ri-2100 has very hard neoprene that does not stretch much so if it is tight then you are very constricted.
Did you change your mind about compressed neoprene after trying the Ri-2100? If not, how about the Bare XCS2, 2mm compressed neoprene? I believe it comes custom sizes and is supposedly quite stretchy.

Or are you wanting 4-6mm neoprene for the thermal properties?

Did you change your mind about compressed neoprene after trying the Ri-2100? If not, how about the Bare XCS2, 2mm compressed neoprene? I believe it comes custom sizes and is supposedly quite stretchy.

Or are you wanting 4-6mm neoprene for the thermal properties?

True on the first one. A number of things here that explain my view on neoprene suits as it stands at the moment.

1. I tried a non-compressed neoprene suit and it was the best suit I was in. It was very soft and stretchy and there was no suit squeeze at all. Neoprene would gentle stretch around you and form a tighter glove. This suit was also a lot more warmer in shallower waters. When I was deep, compression would thin the suit and more undergarment was needed but it would still be better than any of the shell suits I tried.

2. Crushed neoprene like Bare and DUI did not have the same softness and stretch that non-compressed neoprene would have. Sheets of neoprene had been pressed until bubbles in them were smashed and all the flexibility was dead. Result was a shell suit that was super tough. It was still more stretchy than a kavlar shell suit and retained its insulating properties as depth but did not behave like a regular, non-crushed neoprene suit.

3. Ri-2100 was not crushed neoprene like Bare or DUI CF series. The suit was thicker and denser but it still had some "meat" to it. It was the heaviest and the most difficult to press on but it would still have some "give / softness" to it. It would retain its warmth at depth at the cost of taking your flexibility. Had this been a looser fit then the suit may have been perfect but since it was tight, I had major issues reaching valves.

So when you summarize the advantages and disadvantages they would look something like below.

Regular neoprene:

Pros: Most comfortable flexy. No squeeze. Cheapest.
Cons: Loose thermal properties at depth.

Crushed Neoprene (Bare and DUI CF200): Pros: Bullet proof durability. Lighter than Compressed neoprene. Do not have as much warmth but do not lose insulating properties at depth either.
Cons: Expensive. They squeeze almost like a shell suit since material does not have flexibility. Ideal fitting as crucial as a shell suit.

Compressed neoprene (Ri-2100): Pros: Cheap. More flexible than Criushed neoprene but less flexible than regular neoprene. Mosr suit squeeze than crushed neoprene but less than regular neoprene. Require less undergarment than any of the above. Maintain thermal properties not matter how deep you go.

Cons: Heavy. Since material is not flexible, fit is as crucial as a shell suit and whoever makes them better do a good job or you will have a great suit that does not want to give an inch when you reach your valves or move around much.

In the end I would like a suit in which I can move around. I am willing to compromise on crushed / compressed as long as it fits well.

They pulled a stock suit and tried to customize it for me. It was a tight fit and adding undergarments made it tighter. They offered to resize it for a small price but being in UK shipping back and forth meant import duty and what not.

Dont get me wrong. They make amazing suits if you get the fit right.

With the drop in the exchange rate, I ordered a full custom MSF500. The import duties for the suit that I paid to DHL was less than $80. O'Three charged about $1700 for a full custom suit with P-valve and that includes the cost of shipping the suit twice from the UK via DHL. I shipped it back for final completions. About $1,900 total cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom