Who made who?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bought a couple extra sets to prepare for the future. I started soaking it in dilute vinegar at the end of a series and the buttons have not gone bad since.

Both some extra button sets as well. Thought of the vinegar solution, but didn't dare to try. Any idea of the percentage ?

Both some extra button sets as well. Thought of the vinegar solution, but didn't dare to try. Any idea of the percentage ?
I use regular white distilled vinegar (says 5% acidity) and mix is 50:50 with water. I think I made this up, not evidence based :). Has not done any harm, perhaps did some good

I use regular white distilled vinegar (says 5% acidity) and mix is 50:50 with water. I think I made this up, not evidence based :). Has done any harm, perhaps did some good

Thank you. Will try. You douse the whole computer or do you get the buttons out first ?

Thank you. Will try. You douse the whole computer or do you get the buttons out first ?
I rinse the whole computer for about an hour and then again in water. So far, so good. Seems to keep the bungee mount plate clean also. I do this at the end of a series of dives, before storage. For every day, just water.

Now that I think about it, I believe I heard about this from a tech at Dive Rite, during a call about the buttons.

I do not believe that Huish owns Suunto. Everything I could find points to Huish being the US distributor for Suunto.

I think you've just cracked it! I didn't think about that, and it makes sense. Thanks!

@JMBL

I get it. The "99 NDL" when there wasn't a lower calculated NDL was polarizing, as well as other aspects, I'm sure.

The only Cochran's I played with were the ones with the big AI transmitter, then the "Commander" version. I loved the red backlight on the Commander and wish that would make a return, but I suppose the newer color displays alleviate that issue.

I used to do a weekly night dive that very often was a "no-lights" dive, especially if there was a decent moon. I preferred the Aladin-type displays that would glow for a while after hitting them with your light before starting the dive. Those were perfect once your eyes adjusted for the low-light.

The self-illuminating blue-backlit models were "too bright" and don't even think about having to turn on a big dive-light to read your computer when your eyes have adjusted to an hours worth of darkness.

The red Cochran backlight was fantastic for this!

As far as Seiko is concerned, here are some examples of the watches/computers they designed over the years. Prices are, alas like often on Ebay, utterly silly.

One (probably one the earliest model, early 90s, remember seeing one in a shop, few weeks after my OW certification)
Two (same software as the DiveRite Nitek, came in several versions, from around 2000)
Three (never seen this one before, no idea if the 3rd position is chronologically correct or not)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom