Who knows more now?

Are you now a better diver than the person who trained you?

• Now? Heck I was better when he/she was teaching me!

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Yeah. I'm better because I've worked on it.

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • I'm pretty close. I'd have to call it a tie.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My instructor can still teach me a thing or two.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Hands down. My instructor is/was a diving God!

Votes: 27 32.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul168341 once bubbled...
Oh, yeah,
My AOW instructor died while diving.:boom:

I guess I'm a lot better than him.

My Rescue instructor died while diving, about 875 dives ago.

I'm nowhere near as good as him.

I've never dived with my instructor since, only those first 4 dives, then been diving with firends ever since. Or been on live-on-boards and have not looked back.

My BOW, AOW and Rescue instructor was the same person. At this point my knowldedge of diving and dive theory probably exceeds his because I went off on a technical tangent. However we still do recreational diving together and he is still one of the absolute most comfortable people in the water I've ever seen.

My Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox instructor has a ton of knowledge regarding dive theory and he is also great in the water. I have taught him a a little bit about equipment configuration though.

My Cave instructor seemed like an absolute god in the water when I originally took the course. Looking back and comparing him with other's I met since then I still think he was very good, but I'm closing the gap between us rapidly.

My Dive Master instructor is my regular dive buddy. I think he is a little bit better in the water and our knowledge and skill level is pretty equal. We have shared quite a bit if information between us and make sure the other is always up to speed.

My DIRF instructors... Well, if any of you have ever taken the course I don't think I need to tell you what they were like in the water.

My Trimix instructor. More experience and knowledge than I can probably ever hope to touch. Absolutely great in the water with a fantastic understanding of dive theory.

Hmm there isn't really an option for what I think of my instructor :wink:

I wouldn't say I was the better diver than him with only 25 dives under my belt but I would definitely say I have a more responsible attitude towards diving than my instructor does.
Luckily I only had to do my OW with him as my boyf is an instructor and took me through my AOW.
I think my instructor was probably typical of a lot of PADI instructors, if you do the skill once you pass.
Luckily for me I have good buddies and a responsible attitude and much of my pool time now is spent perfecting all those skills before I think of further training.

My first instructor was ok, but had on real people skills. The one I’m using now is a whole lot better. An I’m learning all the time!

My OW and Dive Con instructor is an average "people person" but an incredible diver. I HOPE that I ever know as much about diving as he does. I had problems in his OW class because he saw me comfortable in the water and the little critique that he did offer at the time sounded more like nit-picking than valid critique and the little things that would have helped me out in the open water weren't covered real well.

As a Dive Con Instructor, he is one of the best. He tells me the little tricks now as he feels that I will not forget them within ten seconds. For someone who comes across as harsh, once you get to know him he is an excellent instructor.

My AOW Instructor: he knows much about diving, but is still new to teaching and stresses out too much. I am probably starting to catch up to him on diving skills and knowledge.

The LDS owner: a former schoolteacher and superb recreational diver. He is starting down the tech path, but has the knowledge of it from diving around tech divers and selling them gear for over thirty years. This man is close to what I hope to be.

My Advanced Nitrox instructor: A cave diver and good teacher. This is where I fully aspire to be due to his humility. He has the skills with none of the arrogance that I seem to see in many advanced divers.

Back
Top Bottom