Who knows more now?

Are you now a better diver than the person who trained you?

• Now? Heck I was better when he/she was teaching me!

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Yeah. I'm better because I've worked on it.

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • I'm pretty close. I'd have to call it a tie.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My instructor can still teach me a thing or two.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Hands down. My instructor is/was a diving God!

Votes: 27 32.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving god.
It's going to be hard to pass up someone with so much experience. My instructor has been diving for 30 years, and I haven't even reached the 1 year mark, yet. I feel he trained us well enough to eventually equal him; just the (vast) experience is still needed. (Which I'm enjoying getting)

My OW instructor was great, and a very active diver. I wouldn't discount his experience regardless of my level of training. My AOW instructor, on the other hand, bordered on criminally negligent, and I'm thankful he hasn't taught a class in the last 10 years (I called PADI to check up on him). My Rescue instructor was good, but it was his first time teaching the class. It turns out that he had never been taught buddy breathing at any point, so at the end of one of our pool dives, I went over it with him.

Me and my wife had a great instructor.I had a hard time trying to convince her to take lessons.We checked 4 or 5 different shops.She wasnt too comfy with any of them till we went to the last shop.

He took us on a tour of the shop and sat us down and explained everything.He is an extremely nice person and a good teacher.She passed her open water cert without a hitch.As soon as i get back to ca i look forward to diving some more with him.He was extremely easy going and highly confident which helped my wife a great deal.There was no pressure or any hurry on his part.Currently she is pregnant and misses diving badly and cant wait to dive again.

My instructors are more advanced than I am. Both my PADI/NAUI and my NSS-CDS instructors are excellent. I hope to be as good as them some day. That will come with practice though.

I was certified when I was 12 (on maui hehehe) so I don't remember a lot of details of my OW instructor, but when my AOW instructor saw my card last year he claimed to know my OW instructor. They both are scuba idols with more dives than simple logs can hold, I am glad to have had the privilage of sitting in the same room with them.

I have to say that the guy who OW certed me - has no business doing it - this guy has not been in the water on a regular dive for ages. All he does is classes.

When i started going with the advanced diving - I located an outfit where the owners and instructors on a regular basis goes to the extremes and in mind have the knowledge to teach it...

Big T

My O/W instructor was a Navy diver. In terms of "Grit" I'd say he's a bit above me. I, however, am better at actual "teaching" You know, getting the point across, making sure that concepts are understood etc... I think I'm also a bit better at motivating people to try their best.

He's also still at the OWSI level, has been for years. Doesn't seem to want to go further. I am a MSDT, and will not stop until I -eventually- make Course Director. I think my own motivation makes me a little better.

Once again Paul took the words out of my mouth. My original instructor (22 years ago) seemed great at the time as I had no basis for referance. He quit teaching after the standards changed in 1984.

My advanced instructor (1984) was the sh****s. Even managed to get caught in the ropes during my rope search. His mask floded and he did not see me do the tie off. Was going to have me re-do the skill. I quit.

He quit teaching in 1986.

My course director was great ! I have met and been with several cd's and I stand by that. Like Paull168341 I am msdt and was to do IDC Staff two weeks ago but had to cancel.

My CD was my mentor andf I will not stop untill I attain his skills.

Ron

I've been lucky. Both my OW and AOW instructors were excellent but I've heard horror stories before I came across this thread. I improved my diving a lot during and after my AOW course simply by observing my Instructor and how good his bouyancy control was and consequently how much less effort was needed. It really came home when on one of my first dives with him we surfaced after 40 minutes with me at 50 Bar and him at 120! By the end of 3 weeks and 21 dives I was up to 50 minutes and 90 Bar left.

If any of you want to go to Thailand for your training look up Detlef Sarrazin and Tu Siewels at Phuket Scuba Club. Both ace instructors.

Considering my OW instructor opened his own shop last fall, and is now working towards his TDI instructor certification, I would say that I've got a _long_ way to go :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom