Who is going to the Long Beach Scuba Show - June 8-9, 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I'm just old school... I thought that bubble ring gun was a bad idea myself. Not something I want to see underwater in the dive park, but of course your mileage may vary.

I don't think I'd care for people to use these bubble ring guns and shoot at animals just to bug them, but if two divers were to want to go at it, why not? No difference from nerf guns on land.

I don't think I'd care for people to use these bubble ring guns and shoot at animals just to bug them, but if two divers were to want to go at it, why not? No difference from nerf guns on land.

I wrote a very long post about everything I find wrong with your post. Then I thought to myself, well I guess as long as your intent is to not "just bug them" then it must be alright. You are in the safety of the water. There is nothing around you that could be harmed. I'm sure you think that's just fine. So I deleted it.

I wrote a very long post about everything I find wrong with your post. Then I thought to myself, well I guess as long as your intent is to not "just bug them" then it must be alright. You are in the safety of the water. There is nothing around you that could be harmed. I'm sure you think that's just fine. So I deleted it.
I saw this as similar to people playing tag with scooters underwater. I've never done it, but it does look like a blast. Do it to an underwater critter and I'll have plenty of problems with it.

The kelp forest is my cathedral and I think these things profane my religion! Take them outside the MPAs and aim them only at human beings and maybe they're OK. I take my diving and the critters I see seriously (most of the time).

Much ado about nothing. I believe they said the retail on them would be in the ~$130 range. Couple that with a first stage, LPI hose, etc and an AL 40 with a stage kit and you put the price tag up there pretty high. Sure, some folks have all that spare gear lying around but I'm guessing they're not targeting that demographic. And I'd bet my shoes that the newbie/occasional diver won't shell out $500 for a water pistol... look at all the threads around here complaining about the cost of gear that people actually need...

I recall the art and science of blowing underwater bubble rings was perfected after the introduction of the single hose regulators in the late 1950s. The single hose regulator allowed the bubble blower to recline on their backs and with out fear of massive purging so common to a double hose and blow bubbles.

One of the first things my young son perfected was blowing bubble rings underwater, while free diving in the back yard pool and later as a young tad pole with SCUBA equipment.

Blowing bubbles was a great deviation from boredom when hanging off decompressing or astonishing my students with such great hidden talent.

The single hose regulator was introduced to the US diving in 1954 via the short lived but very innovative Rose Pro regulator which was 59 years ago. Now 59 years later the art and science of blowing underwater bubble rings has been perfected into a gun to frighten fish and should be banned !

Maybe those people with gills of steel and fins like a frog darting around underwater and top side in the dive park should be investigated , don't they frighten fish? Shouldn't they be banned from the ocean?

SDM

The act of humans diving in water "bugs" some things already. Things such as microscopic pelagics.

So if you're really that concerned with "bugging" animals in the water, then don't dive at all.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2013 at 09:32 PM ----------

The kelp forest is my cathedral and I think these things profane my religion! Take them outside the MPAs and aim them only at human beings and maybe they're OK. I take my diving and the critters I see seriously (most of the time).

Dr. Bill, I respect your opinions most of the time, but in this case you're reacting to nothing. Plenty of divers who don't use bubble ring guns yet tear off kelp leaves and strands because they get tangled in the kelp forests. That's more profane than shooting some bubble rings that even dolphins do now and then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom