Who has dived Gilboa Quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

> TheHobster, how was the diving? I was there last weekend for the DUI drysuit event and it was pretty silty, but they had a little over 100 divers in the quarry that day so it is to be expected.

Cheers

Was there for the first time on Friday the 14th.

Kind of disappointed after all of the build up about the place. :(

About 1/3 of the wooden structures (tables, walkways, entries) were in poor condition or broken. Underwater attractions damaged. Almost too many sunken items in too small of an area. Overfull port-a-johns. Lots of trash around the entry / fill building

Best to be said was that viz was good.

Can't stand the place. It has become so run down over the years. The babysitters who run the place are not solo-friendly (without some fake-ass certification).

Necklin,

I appreciate your point of view. And agree with some of your assessments.

But I am biased. I like the place.

The summer storm dealt havoc on the area this year. You can see lots of trees damaged by the storm on the drive from Findlay to Gilboa. The storm dropped branches on the quarry area, destroying a dive bench and some picnic tables. Maybe more. They did a good job cleaning up the area afterwards.

Some of the dock areas and ladders do need repair.

The copter seems to be dissolving before my eyes. I have heard it is because of the material it is made of.
I like all the items in the shallow area. It keeps me from getting bored.

I have not seen the trash around the fill area. Maybe it is just the "stuff" the owner has there for various projects he is working on?

Agreed on the porta johns.

Hope your next trip is better. Glad the viz was good. It usually is.

Dave from Columbus.

Was there for the first time on Friday the 14th.

Kind of disappointed after all of the build up about the place. :(

About 1/3 of the wooden structures (tables, walkways, entries) were in poor condition or broken. Underwater attractions damaged. Almost too many sunken items in too small of an area. Overfull port-a-johns. Lots of trash around the entry / fill building

Best to be said was that viz was good.

Good points. Those of us that dive there regularly often times don't notice things as they gradually change. The last time I was there I noticed that many of the topside wood structured were in need of repair. It looked like Mike was addressing that, but slowly.

As far as attractions in the shallow end, I see both sides. Sometimes there seems to be too much stuff too close together, but new divers and divers in training love that stuff and it helps them. I'm pretty easy going and just adapt. I dive places where there's not enough "stuff" down there and that has it's own challenges, ie. boredom.

---------- Post Merged at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Can't stand the place. It has become so run down over the years. The babysitters who run the place are not solo-friendly (without some fake-ass certification).

That "babysitter" owns the place and it's his neck on the line wrt liability. Given the deaths that have occurred over the years, I don't blame him.

The fact that solo diving requires a solo card is disappointing to me as well. I'm an experienced Divemaster and Great Lakes wreck diver. I have over 80 dives at Gilboa and know the place extremely well. However, that's not good enough. I'd need a solo card, which won't teach may anything I don't already know and practice, to dive solo. However, that's not just Gilboa. France Park, a very shallow quarry in IN, is the same way. The insurance companies are to blame for this, not the quarry owners. Once it became possible to get a solo card, the insurance companies latched onto that because it at least looks defensible. Forget about the fact that other courses and overall experience are far better preparation for solo diving.

I wouldn't go so far as calling a solo card a "fake-ass certification". It's a real course with real objectives and real dives. I have no idea what's "fake-ass" about that. Now the fact that you haven't taken the course and feel you already have those skills (I feel the same way), well, that's up to you. But it doesn't make it a fake certification.

Gilboa's owner does run a tight ship. Over the past couple of years I have started to appreciate that.

Ya play by the rules, you are golden.

I "believe" the SDI solo class stresses/requires using a pony bottle. If you are diving the deep side(solo) at Gilboa, that is probably a good idea.

Most of the shallow quarries I am familiar with have the same restrictions on Solo.

I don't necessarily agree with the rules, but they own the quarries and are liable when it is time to "lawyer up".

I was there for the DUI event and Mike worked his behind off all weekend trying to keep the place in order. He literally never quit. At 8PM on Friday Mike was still there mowing the grass that didn't have a tent on it. As far as the topside structures, the only entrance I saw that was in need of repair was one set of steps I believe which were on the last entry point back by the cul-de-sac. As far as the facilities, Gilboa's IMO are way better than Portages. I've never been in the shower room when it was dirty. Yes there are a few portajohns but then again if they weren't there people would be either 1) complaining about having to walk all the way to the bath house or 2) roughing it with mother nature. Like Dave has said Mike runs a tight ship and I too appreciate that.

I didn't really have a problem with the condition of the site, and was pleased to see they had rigged up a nice ramp to replace some broken/unsafe stairs on the first dive platform. It was unfortunate that the staging area for the next generation of attractions took up so much space, but I guess that is sort of a given when you have a couple of airplanes sitting around!

One question, how is the camping? We stayed at the Fairfield in Findlay (pool, hot tub, walking distance to several restaurants and a Meijer, and only 20 mins away from the quarry) but it did seem like the campers got in a lot more dives. Several people mentioned they were still filling tanks until 10pm.

I agree that the team was working very hard to service over 100 divers on Saturday and I don't have any complaints. If it were closer I would go back for one more dive this season. As it is, I will absolutely be back for the next DUI event.

Ya they filled till 10. I got there early Friday for the DUI event and was able to camp all the way in the end of the cul-de-sac. There was hardly anyone there when we arrived but that quickly changed as it filled in pretty quick Friday evening. If you can handle the cold nights, camping is the way to go IMO. The campsites have picnic tables and a fire ring and its usually a good time. We even got in a night dive on Saturday!

One question, how is the camping? We stayed at the Fairfield in Findlay (pool, hot tub, walking distance to several restaurants and a Meijer, and only 20 mins away from the quarry) but it did seem like the campers got in a lot more dives. Several people mentioned they were still filling tanks until 10pm.

I never stay in a hotel when I go to Gilboa. I always camp at the top of the stairs. It makes it FAR easier to get in alot of dives. Over a 3 day weekend, I easily get in 6-8 dives including usually at least 1 night dive. It's primitive camping as there's no water or electric over on that side, but I haven't found it to be a problem. You just plan for that. I bring plenty of my own water, flashlights, a propane cook stove and a large cooler. Camping the way camping should be! :wink: There are folks I know that bring huge fifth wheel campers and generators back there. That's another way to role. Those Honda generators are amazingly quite and man are they small.

Back
Top Bottom