Who has been to Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downdeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did the Tibbetts from the Aggressor a couple of years ago and had a great time. Thought I'd like to see the rest of the island. Any feedback on resorts and dive operations would be appreciated.

I like those "off the beaten path" type of places.

We rented a house called "Turtle Crossing". Highly recommended. We did our diving with both of the major ops on the island and had no complaints. If I was going to do a sister island trip I would consider Little Cayman over the Brac if its all about the diving.

We loved Bloody Bay Wall. And after all, what else is there but diving?

Thanks a bunch.

downdeep:
I did the Tibbetts from the Aggressor a couple of years ago and had a great time. Thought I'd like to see the rest of the island. Any feedback on resorts and dive operations would be appreciated.

I like those "off the beaten path" type of places.

There are two dive ops and resorts to choose from on the Brac. The Brac Reef resort and the Divi. I've stayed and dove with both. I prefer the Divi to the Brac Reef, and my reasons are; 1. you have a better chance to get the dive site you want.
2. you have alittle nicer boats at the Divi
3. the food is alittle better at the Divi
Both are nice, rustic, 3 star. The beach area is alittle bigger at the Brac Reef. It used to be better snorkeling at the Divi but since they dug the channel out for boats, you can't snorkel there any more.
There are few restaurants on the island. There are some caves to explore, a bluff to see the view from and there are some smelly salt ponds behind the resorts. There are very few stores and a very small town. The big downside to the resorts is that they are near to the airport, so if you have a 7am jet arriving......it'll wake you up. :crafty:

for the input. Divi was kinda what I had in mind. The Chap Book reports all seemed pretty favorable. Anything beats the quarries in Tennessee. Sixty-eight degrees at best and 5 ft vis. YUCK.

I love those places that are a bit more bohemian (like Bonaire before everyone discovered it).

caymaniac:
There are two dive ops and resorts to choose from on the Brac. The Brac Reef resort and the Divi. I've stayed and dove with both. I prefer the Divi to the Brac Reef. . .QUOTE]

I'm with him. Brac is under-rated due to its proximity to Little Cayman but my wife and I prefer it to about anything in the islands. Love Divi and the dive op there.

Caymaniac, you'll love PNG. Staghorn coral as thick as Saskatchewan wheat is hard to beat!

Okay, now I'm really getting pumped. Brac sounds like the place for me. Are there any local wares that can be purchased on the island?

downdeep:
for the input. Divi was kinda what I had in mind. The Chap Book reports all seemed pretty favorable. Anything beats the quarries in Tennessee. Sixty-eight degrees at best and 5 ft vis. YUCK.

I love those places that are a bit more bohemian (like Bonaire before everyone discovered it).

I've been on the Brac in the months of Sep., Oct., Mar.,Apr., through the years...just a week or two at a time. I first seen G.C. in 1976, (we landed to refuel a small plane)no airport just a small shed with a bladed fan run by a fan belt. Our first stay there was in 1981, the Holiday Inn was there and the Palms, other than that seven mile beach was a jungle and scrub. The first time to the Brac was 1989, they had Island parties every weekend where the Divi is now, and this is before Little Cayman had electricity. You could get to the Brac by prop twin engine 16 seater only. Things sure have changed.

I remember Bonaire from our first visit in 1985, it was quite different than it is today. The diving was better before that hurricane surge too, not just because I remember it that way but take a look at Kleins north side and you'll see what I mean ....if you were there before. :11:

There is some local made jewlry, it's made out of "caymanite" a kind of pinkish stone or layered stone. The "caymanite" is found on the Brac and Jamaica, it comes from a volcano of long ago. You can actually chip your own, if you know where to look.

We're also very happy with Divi Tiara, went twice. Excellent operation, good boats, great crew and lots of different sites. Their packages are a very reasonable deal. We just stayed at the resort, so I can't comment on the rest of the island, but came to dive only anyway. Valet diving (drop the gear at beginning of the week and they take care of everything) but be sure to sign up for the trips you want quickly each day or you might end up diving the Tibbetts Wreck more than you want.

Another plus is the Cayman Air 737 from GC is only 15 minutes and no "bumps" to worry about. The props could be a little rough (if that bothers you.)

If the weather's good try to get to Amphitheatre (just what it looks like) on the South side or End of the Island, a shallow dive on the West point near end of the airport runway. It can be a rough ride to Little Cayman sometimes (1 hour plus), but worth the trip. But if Bloody Bay Wall is really your goal, stay at Little Cayman Beach Resort. Maybe $500+/week more pp than Brac but much better food and Blood Bay all week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom