Who has been the provider on a real OOA?

How have real OOAs you've been the provider in been handled?

• OOA diver came up and calmly gave the OOA signal and waited for the reg to be handed over

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • OOA diver came up and took the reg from your mouth

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm posting this in the HOG forum because I'm only interested in the use of the long hose during an OOA situation.

What I'm looking for is input from those that have been the provider of the air or gas during a real OOA.

Thanks

Brian

I have- and the OOA diver approached me calmly- but.... there is a qualifier:

The OOA diver was my spouse, with whom I taught diving, and with whom I had done all my cave training. I cannot guarantee that a "random" buddy would react the same way. It is interesting to note that he came to ME- the farthest diver from him, passing 2 divers with plenty of gas...

I was the donor. It was all calm and good. There was no biting and no hair pulling to get my primary. I saw that he was in trouble and offered him my (purging) octo.

OOA diver was moving towards me while signalling. I donated to her, and the rest was uneventful.

OOA Diver came toward me quickly and grabbed my octo.
Performed a safety stop, and surfaced without further difficulty.

My buddy came up, grabbed the octopus and started breathing off it, he showed me his gauge- empty. He later said he didn't want to waste time with all that hand signal ****. We were in about 40 ft and made an uneventful ascent.

Neither, actually....I had a diver once blow a high pressure hose at about 80'/24m......he looked like a jacuzzi underwater! So I gave him my octo before he ran out of air, and we pretty much calmly made it to the surface.

It was more of a low on air situation. The diver signaled he was having trouble breathing, when I looked at his guage he had 100 psi. I gave him my long hose, and we ascended.

I used to date a DM in training who later became an instructor. She was notorious for running low on air. She was so busy taking pictures, that she rarely looked at her gauges. On a dive in the keys, I had a problem with a piece of equipment at 110'. She stayed with me to fix it and on the way up the line, she signaled for my long hose. After about 5 minutes of ascent and safety stop, we surfaced and I checked her SPG. She had about 200psi left, but her crappy reg wouldn't give her a decent supply. I didn't dive with her after that and we broke up for other reasons. Some people never learn.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom