Who does not like their Hog regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok maybe not a troll, just really really whiney, but at the same time too lazy to contact the manufacturer known for great customer service.

Seriously....I had the exhaust plenum fold over on itself on a giant stride in Key Largo with some ripping surface current. I did my regulator checks (diving sidemount) and bubble checks about 10 feet and got a nice mouthfull of salt water. Surfaced, took the 2nd stage apart on the boat and got it to unseat itself. I sent an email on the way back when we were in range of cell service, and Chris responded about an hour later. They had apparently redesigned the exhaust port to keep this from happening, one week later my shop returned both 2nd stages with the new exhaust port with no charge to me. If my shop wouldn't give me the satisfaction I needed, you better believe I would be on the phone with the manufacturer ASAP. I have done this several times when I have a few minor issues with Dive Rite, and they are always super easy to get a hold of, and can usually talk me through the issue with no problems. That is why you buy from reputable companies with good service IMO - they are there to help when you have questions.

Reactions: Jax
I don't think he was trolling but it is really interesting that you took this shops word as gospel, let them talk you into spending an extra $500+ all because you didn't want to take the 5 minutes to shoot that picture in an email to Jack and ask him what was going on when your shop is as far as I know, the only one that has had that issue and they claim it is normal..... I got an email back from Jack on Thursday at 10pm regarding a stupid question that could have easily waited until the next day, with how responsive that company is and how hard they are willing to work to stand behind their stuff, you could have at least done him the favor and said "hey look, got this reg 2 years ago, took it in for service and this happened. This shop says it's common for your second stages, can you look at it and consider at least replacing the orifice". He probably would have replaced the whole second stage for you and then he can take that back to his manufacturer and be like WTF, trace that serial number back to the lot that it came from and see if they had a bad lot, then fix it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

You regularly see a few people that actually matter on this board from a select few manufacturers, Dive Rite, Hog, Poseidon, Atomic, and I'm sure there are a few others. You almost never see the Scubapro or Aqualung guys on here. I'm 100% positive if this thread had been in the HOG subforum Jack would have been in here and tried to figure this out for you

Nice contribution to the discussion , djtimmy77.

As you say, you don't even own a set of HOGs, so why weigh in on this discussion? You have no idea what you are talking about, your accusations are unfounded and I don`t appreciate being called a "troll".

Like I said, this shop didn`t just find this problem on my regs. and I never had corrosion issues on the Sherwoods that I owned previously. You HOG dealers and others with a dog in the fight can say what you want, but I have nothing invested in this shop and no particular axe to grind with HOG other than that I shelled out a bunch of money for substandard equipment. I initially put it out there as I found it curious in the face of all the rave reviews and as a heads up to others to check their HOG regs. While I don`t clean my regs to the level of Jim Lapenta I should not have had the issues I had with the HOGS after regular soaking and rinsing in fresh water after every dive. I didn`t get any special reprimand or blame for this corrosion even though I waited almost two years to service these new regs. Maybe that is the HOG-lovers, "ah-ha" moment, but the shop advised that even waiting that long should not have done the damage to the internal metal parts that they found.

In any event, my HOG story is over now.

I went back to the shop today and the owner, refunded me half what I paid for the HOGs, and has replaced them with an Apeks DST XTX50 set up. Looking forward to many years of safe diving.

Peace out...

Here is a question. Did you own any other brand before you purchased your Hogs? Was your treatment of your other brand regs any different than Hogs? I ask because some divers are just rough on the gear and no matter which reg you give them the reg will have limited shelf life. In that case all regulators should show not only the same life but also similar type of problems.

I bought a new set and do not like the fact the ports do not rotate like my old model does. But all in all its still a good regulator .

cheers

I bought a new set and do not like the fact the ports do not rotate like my old model does. But all in all its still a good regulator .

cheers

I have no hog regulators, but you might consider buying one of the "soft" woven second stage hoses. They are so flexible and light, that I feel like they offset the need for a swivel action.

cheers
Which model did you buy? Both the D1 and D3 have swivel turrets.

Jim It was a D2 model

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom