Who do you use for flood insurance .. and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm in the process of upgrading my camera setup, and considering how to insure it. For the past three years I've been using DEPP, and until recently have never had a claim. During my recent trip to the Maldives, I flooded one of my G10 cameras, and put in a claim. It's pending at this point in time, and so I'll withold making any comments about it. I also recently paid for another year's worth of insurance on the existing setup.

However, if this claim goes south, I'm only out a few hundred dollars. That won't be the case with my new setup, as I'm already in it for nearly $4000, and will be investing another $2000 soon ... and that doesn't even factor in the strobes, which I already own.

Having read some recent stories about DEPP's lack of responsiveness to claims, I'm considering looking into alternatives.

Who do you use? Why did you choose them? Have you had any experiences with claims? Were they good or bad?

Inquiring minds, and all that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Check with your homeowners insurance. I've insured y cameras, housing, dive gear, etc. through them. Cheaper than DEPP or the DAN offerings, and covers all hazards. Some events aren't covered by the "specialty" insurers.

I used DEPP for many years, only filed 2 claims. The first, many years ago, was handled promptly. The second, about 3 years ago, took forever plus many calls to handle, though I was always told "no problem".

I thought the last policy revision [1-2 years ago?] to be quite unfavorable to the insured [me].

Because of the revision, plus the problem cited, I switched to DAN. Never have filed a claim though, so I don't know what it's like.
DAN has lower limits on total amount of equipment insured, I think $10K. Had to get waiver to insure $25K.

I have DEPP. I have filed 3 claims over the last 6 or 7 years for flooded cameras. They have always paid including the check I got last week. The last claim did take around 5 months to complete. These were all low end cameras I believe all less than $350. I did check into the 2 home owners policies I have and both told me that Scuba gear was not schedulable in New Jersey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom