Who dives with 2 computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What percentage of non-newbie divers would you guess use 2 compters for redundancy sake?
I've been saving up for my first dive computer for ever(almost had it, then learned my baby girl needs braces:().
ANyway, was talking to my neighbor , who is an experienced diver, about spg's and what not. He said I should have a dive watch so I would have a backup time piece to the watch in my computer.
I'm guessing a decent watch is going to run around $100. For $50. more I could buy a less expensive additional computer!!
ANyway, I was just wondering what others do.
(This is exactly how that old tally dial keeps running up the bucks, isn't it?:11:)
Thanks,
Spencer

i have 2 dive computers and a dive watch on top. can never be too careful! lol - but hey, i know what you mean... 99.9% of the time nothing happens and everything goes well, its for the 0.01% of the dives when the **** hits the fan and you end up 20m deep in a strong current and your dive comps play up on you...thats when you need them!

I use Suunto dive computers ( i have 2 of them) they are easy and simple to use with a big dial. As for the dive watch i use Accurist but Timex, Poseidon, Aqua Lung and Seiko are also good.

My back up is a bottom timer.

I suggest a Uwatec D-timer rather than a watch or second computer. That, plus a reasonable understanding of what the tables will give for for most dives, will see you out of trouble in the unlikely event of the computer going belly-up during the dive. Don't forget that you've got a buddy (or, at least, usually have) with all the deco info you need too.

If you've planned your dive, even in the most rudimentary fashion, the governing factor will be the gas on your back rather that the time on your wrist. In the event of a computer failure; deco with the gas available rather than the time on your wrist and you shouldn't have a problem, although you might spend longer in the water than strictly necessary.

I'll save everyone the bother of posting the usual condescending smilies at this point;
:shakehead::no

Hi,

My wife/buddy and I have two computers, and it has been useful. Here's how it came about:

We went on a cruise, and planned a bunch of diving. We had console computers, recently serviced, which had tested OK before leaving. However, upon giant stride for first dive, both computers flooded (I can only hypothesize that something odd happened and the seals failed during the airplane flight ... the computers had been fine before and since through many such servicings and flights on other trips). We did fortunately have a backup at the time (Swatch Scuba Fun Watch, yay!).

The cruise ship had a dive shop, with computers to rent and for sale. We rented a pair of Suunto's (mosquito and vyper), really liked the mosquito ... and as the deal to buy was duty-free, and credited the rental cost, walked off the ship at the end with two mosquitoes.

Since then, it has been very comforting and convenient (two different places to be able to look) to have the redundant computers as we have gotten more into Lake Michigan wreck diving, and as we travel on increasingly more expensive and remote dive vacations.

Cheers,
W

On most dives I have a second computer. It's on my buddy.

My approach to potential gear failures is to look at what happens if a piece of gear fails. Even on my solo no-stop dives in water clear enough to see the surface from 20', a computer failure isn't a big deal. In the event of a computer failure, I'd simply do a normal ascent to the surface, estimating my stop depths and times.

I prefer to dive with the minimum amount of gear and for my diving at least, a 2nd computer is just clutter that I leave on the boat.

If you need a computer to get you safely back to the surface, then by all means bring 2, 3 or 4 .... however many you are willing to carry. :D

For the last 1.5 years I have been diving with 2 computers. I've been on liveaboards that will make you sit out for 24 hours if your computer fails technically or the battery goes. Plus it was a way to justify a new toy!!

Spencer,

This may be a minor point, but...

As you know, dive computers typically display NDL time and current depth. Most recreational divers who use a dive computer generally do not have a "backup" analog depth gauge. That watch your neighbor told you to get would really only be giving you half the info you need to truly monitor your dive. If you aim to achieve full redundancy with respect to timing/depth, you have two choices:
Option#1: Buy an analog depth gauge + dive watch or
Option#2: Just buy a backup dive computer.
If you go with Option#1, you should also either memorize or take a dive table with you.

Personally, I agree with Charlie99 regarding potential gear failures and carrying redundant equipment. My buddy has my backup dive computer. That being said, I occasionally dive with 2 computers...but just to test that the 2nd dive computer is functioning properly following battery replacement or any other "servicing." Please bear in mind that I am a recreational (non-technical) NDL diver. If I were doing decompression dives, wreck penetrations, or cave diving, I would probably insist on having a redundant computer/bottom timer+depth gauge.

Have fun and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom